Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Alexis de Tocqueville: 5 Values of Westward Development
Transcript of Alexis de Tocqueville: 5 Values of Westward Development
5 Values of Democracy freedom from control, interference, obligation, restriction, hampering conditions, etc. Liberty “The citizens of the U.S. are responsible for the greatest trust ever confided to a political society.” – James Madison "We The People News." Last modified 2012. Accessed September 15, 2012. http://www.wethepeoplenews.com/. Egalitarianism a belief in human equality especially with respect to social, political, and economic affairs “Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.
” – Alexis de Tocqueville Kelsey Papadatos
4th Period When expanding to the West, President Lincoln and most of America wanted to expand to the Pacific coast to create a “empire for liberty”. Individualism a social theory advocating the liberty, rights, or independent action of the individual. Populism the political doctrine that supports the rights and powers of the common people in their struggle with the privileged elite. Laissez-Faire the doctrine that government should not interfere in commercial affairs "That government is best which governs least, because its people discipline themselves."
-Thomas Jefferson "What is most important for democracy is not that great fortunes should not exist, but that great fortunes should not remain in the same hands. In that way there are rich men, but they do not form a class."
-Alexis de Tocqueville "Consider any individual at any period of his life, and you will always find him preoccupied with fresh plans to increase his comfort."
- Alexis de Tocqueville When gold was found in land forbidden by treaties with the Native Americans, settlers became self-reliant and made their way to find gold; i.e. Black Hills. African American men became free from slavery at the end of the Civil War. They made their way west to take advantage of the Homestead Act. Although, women and Native Americans still were not treated equal, the end of slavery was an enormous step in American history. Unfortunately, the discrimination does not stop there. Wikipedia, "Buffalo Soldier." Accessed September 18, 2012. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_Soldier. The Homestead Act gave settlers 160 acres sold given by Congress and if improvements were made then the land was legally yours. Library of Congress, "The Homestead Act." Accessed September 18, 2012. http://www.americaslibrary.gov/jb/civil/jb_civil_homested_1.html. Wikipedia, "The Homestead Act." Accessed September 18, 2012. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homestead_Act. Laissez-Faire is separation from the government, but I feel Westward Expansion was anything but that. The transcontinental railroad is what made the move west as successful as it was and the building of the railways were funded by Congress. Wikipedia, "The First Transconintental Railroad." Accessed September 18, 2012. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Transcontinental_Railroad. Wikimedia, "Black Hills." Accessed September 18, 2012. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Custerblackhills.jpg. Gold Miners at the Black Hills Buffalo Soldiers Golden Spike at Promontory Point, Utah Alexis de Tocqueville stated in 1835 that democratic order was propelled by the following 5 values: Liberty, Egalitarianism, Individualism, Populism, and Laissez-Faire. Each value is connected to the Westward Expansion movement and the events that occur.