Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Modern Art and Artist Of the Philippines and Other Countries
Transcript of Modern Art and Artist Of the Philippines and Other Countries
Some Filipino artists used western art styles and their works had an influence of C'ezanne and Gauguin. They depicted their subjects in terms of the technical considerations of line, color, space, and mass.
Filipino modern artists include:
1. Victorio Edades 4. Cesar Legaspi
2. Vicente Manansala 5. Carlos "Botong" Francisco
3. Hernado Ocampo 6. Romeo Tabuena
These painters represented subject matters that were about the social and economic life of the Filipinos. They depicted in their works contemporary issues, conditions, aspirations, and dreams of the Filipino masses. Their themes dealt with poverty;slums; injustice; exploitation of the poor, of women, of children, of plight of the OFWs; unfair labor practices; inequality; abuse of political power; oppression; and others.
Different art styles such as the application of expressionism and abstract cubism were used in their constant search for national identity and in expressing Philippine "realities" in their artworks. They used bold colors such as black, purple and red to express their feelings.
Victorio C. Edades is the " Father of Modern Art " in the Philippines. Edades, Ocampo and Francisco were the triumvirate of Philippine Modern Art. Their artworks were influenced by the western styles in the international scenes such as pop art, maximalism, minimalism, abstraction, expressionism, constructivism, magic realism, and environmental art.
Other Filipino painters who joined the modernist group are the following:
1. Fernando Zobel 6. Federico Aguilar Alcuaz
2. Arturo Rogelio Luz 7. Lee Aguinaldo
3. Jose Joya 8. Mauro Malang Santos
4. Ang Kiukok 9. Hugo Yonzon, Jr.
The artworks of thes painters gained international reputation and credibility and can be found in prestigious galleries, museums, and private collections all over the world.
Cesar Legaspi - Mother and Child
Vicente Manansala - Modonna of the Slums
Arturo Luz - Candle Vendor
Hernando Ocampo - Sampayan
Mauro Malang - Mother and child
Jose Joya - Dimemtion of Fear
Victorio Edades - Builders
Ang Kiukok - Crucifixion
Romeo Tabuena - Still Life
Anita Magsaysay - Santol
Carlos Francisco - Serenade