Loading presentation...

Present Remotely

Send the link below via email or IM


Present to your audience

Start remote presentation

  • Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
  • People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
  • This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
  • A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
  • Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article

Do you really want to delete this prezi?

Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.


Make your likes visible on Facebook?

Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.

No, thanks

KC TCICP Inquiry Project

No description

Comments (0)

Please log in to add your comment.

Report abuse

Transcript of KC TCICP Inquiry Project

Let's Go Back to the Start....
In order for this plan to be successful, it was essential for the special education department to meet and discuss what we saw happening in our classrooms and what we were going to do about it.
Step 1:
We identified about 25 students who were of the lowest reading levels and receiving the lowest grades in their classes and what the common trends were in our classrooms.
Step 2:
We identified key areas that we were going to target in instruction: vocabulary and summarizing.
Step 3:
Chose testing to begin within SETSS, resources to be used in the classroom, and commonalities among contents that can be taught in the same weeks.
Step 4:
Picked a date to begin
Step 5:
We discussed the planned change with administration
Step 6:
Presented the plan to general education co-teachers
Step 7:
Planned lessons together
Identifying Resources
One teacher in our department took the lead on researching what resources would be used. We decided to use work from Peter Papas entitled "Strategies for Struggling Readers". We focused on 2 of his 14 tools- KIM vocabulary sheet and "I'll Pause, You Think" summarizing sheet. We used some simple literacy textbooks which had great resources for word parts instruction (examples, definitions, activities, etc.). We decided that these students needed more exposure to leveled texts, so we used multiple reading resources online (simple google searches proved effective here) to try and incorporate a short readings into at least 3 lessons a week. KIM sheets or IPYT sheets would accompany these readings. We also identified word parts and vocabulary games that we had previously seen success with and could adapt.
Presenting the Plan
At a monthly PD our department got the floor to present what would be changing in our classroom. We presented a power point outlining everything we had done, identifying accommodations and modifications that would be implemented, why we were doing this, and what we would need from co-teachers (lesson plans in advance, room for a small group, communication to provide scaffolding for IEP students not in our small group). We fielded many questions and concerns, and it was important that we made our goals and reasoning clear.
Planning for the Shift
We decided to start this at the beginning of the next term. Each room was rearranged to provide for a small group somewhere in the classroom, usually near a second board or an easel/chart paper. We met to discuss the first batch of word parts we would use across contents and which days we would introduce the new tools being used. We also discussed how we would explain this to the students, a key component of the plan.
And they're off....
The first day started off a little rough due to students feeling left out and confused, but within a week most students already preferred the shift because they could notice they were understanding more each day. In the beginning weeks this took a lot of time to plan for and adjust, but it was very much worth it.
Full transcript