Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Authentic Leadership
Guidelines for individuals who want to be authentic leaders
Explicit moral dimension
Possible to develop authentic traits over time
Authentic Action Wheel
Two central questions
What is really, REALLY going on?
What are you going to do about it?
To answer those:
Locate the problem on the diagnostic wheel
Strategically select an appropriate response
6 categories: Resources, Structure, Power, Mission, Meaning, Existence.
Center: fulfillment Authentic Action Wheel Prescriptive model of leadership - "how to" Authentic leaders have 5 characteristics:
1) They understand their purpose
2) They have strong values about the right thing to do
3) They establish trusting relationships with others
4) They demonstrate self-discipline and act on their values
5) They are passionate about their mission Focuses on characteristics of leaders. Positive
Capacities Moral Reasoning Critical Life Events Self- Awareness Internalized
Balanced Processing Relational Transparency Authentic Leadership Criticisms Not fully substantiated
Not clear how values of justice and community relate to leading
Doubts about whether positive psychological attributes should be included
Relationship of authenticity to organizational abilities not specified Focuses on developed traits Self - Awareness: process of a leader understanding his/her own strengths and weaknesses. Identity. Internalized Moral Perspective: process of a leader self-regulating their behavior according moral standards/values Balanced Processing: self-regulating process of considering the opinions of others in decision-making Relational Transparency: self-regulating process or allowing followers to see the leaders true self Positive Psychological Capacities 4 Key Attributes Confidence: belief one can succeed
Hope: Positive motivational state
Optimism: Viewing situations in a positive light
Resilience: ability to recover/adapt to adverse situations Leadership according to what is "true" New theory, popular post 9/11 Broken down into: Practical and Theoretical what goes on within the leader what happens between leaders and followers what leaders learn over time Intrapersonal Interpersonal Developmental