Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
The dichotomy of mental health - Micro talk on a macro subject - Braking barriers - Nordic mental health nurses - Reykjavik 2013
Transcript of The dichotomy of mental health - Micro talk on a macro subject - Braking barriers - Nordic mental health nurses - Reykjavik 2013
History and epistemology
The system and its "user"
The path of good intentions
“ As we in the 21st century shake our heads over the methods that were used to “treat" and "cure” mental disorders 50-100 years ago; as will our children look back and shake their heads over some of the methods and approaches we are using now”
Key issues of users (people)
More key issues
Choice in treatment
The right to refuse treatment
The right to an ombudsperson
Treatment & Services
"Only six disorders were listed in the initial census of mental patients in the mid-nineteenth century; now they are close to two hundred"
Madness -> Mental illness -> Mental health problem -> Mental health as a human right
Dichotomy & Dualism
Hygeia (social, causal)
Asclepius (medical, consequential)
Madness becomes a mental health problem
* The Quakers – Moral treatment
* Francis Galton -Kantian approach
* Ugo Cerletti/Egas Moniz
* Smith, Klein and French
The subjective field of mental health yields to often soft and ambiguous laws and polices. Implemented better in words than actions and in the end controlled by soveregin nation states..........
The international policy process in mental health
- An honest attempt to bring increased humanism into the practice of psychiatry and mental health care.........
.....and remember that with increased regonised 'dis-ease' within our societies non of us has complete mental health..
a micro talk on a MACRO subject
The etymology of IGO´s discourse
Coercion - The Harm principle