Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Copy of Live Working Process: Building our Eco-home Together - Nidri, Greece
Transcript of Copy of Live Working Process: Building our Eco-home Together - Nidri, Greece
- To exchange ideas, experiences, knowledge and good practices between youngster’s and youth workers from Euro-Mediterranean area about the the issue of green homes and on the education of youth in sustainable development.
- To riase awareness of youth workers from Euro-Mediterranean area for the necessity to educate young people of the value of eco-building and its impact on the environment (using healthy materials for building, creating renewable and green energy, and to lead healthy life).
- To enable young people and youth workers form Euro-Med area to acquire new skills and techniques through practical and real experience, in order to have awareness of young people and citizens about the impact of our lifestyles on the planet's and on the natural resources, and commitment to promote green houses and adopt a greener lifestyle by applying innovative methods, and be resourceful through the Euro-Med network and, to raise awareness of young people of their Countries about eco-building, and encourage their active participation in this way.
- To empower young people, developing in them the desire to react and to act, in order to become future citizens aware and supportive.
- To allow opening of partner organizations on partnerships in local, national and international level in order to consolidate a culture of sustainable development in their community based on openness, cooperation and mutual assistance.
- To reinforce the cooperation between European and Mediterranean Partners working in the field of Education for the environment. Preparations Phase 1: The Architect's plan of our Eco-home Phase 2: Cleaning the area where our Eco-home will be Phase 3: Plotting the area of our Eco-home Phase 4: Excavating the foundation of our Eco-home Phase 5: Making the foundation Phase 6: Outdoor Kitchen and Restaurant Our Accomodation Phase 8: Making the working place sunproof End of preparations Introduction Activities Wall Building
working process sand, We use clay, and straw for the wall. We first make the clay wet, so it becomes a paste Then we take it out and filter it from rocks if needed After, we take 2 buckets of sand and 1 bucket of filtered clay and mix it with our feet To maximize speed we also mix clay and sand with a concrete mixer Then we select and add long straw strands And stomp them into the mixture with our feet and mix it with the clay-sand mix when the mix is ready (it is not breaking apart) we compact it in parts that are easy to carry After, we take them to the wall structure and by pushing holes in them with a stick we take out all the air and make it a uniform wall structure. Eco Lamp Building Process Biogaz System Building Process Photovoltaic system We had 2
solar panels Prepared the frames for them We plotted their angle Made the frame Inserted the panels We also made a birdhouse on the
conversion box We put together the energy management and conversion system for energy usage and storage in batteries Installed this in the conversion box Placed it into the proper position next to the house Fixed it into concrete And tested if it works with the eco-lamps and with laptop, both on 12 and 220 Volts. It DOES! The Roof -for the roof we hired a local
wooden roofing enterprise- They started with the frame of the roof put one level of wooden boards covered that with modern and
traditional insulation then covered that woth compress wood boards prepared the space for the tiles and put on the final layer, concrete tiles In relaxing moments we had discussions, presentations and reflections on various topics related to eco-building, the environment and making similar projects in an Euro-Med context Once we came to the end of the project, we have invited the local community, architects, decision makers and friends to see what we achieved Our cultural needs were met on the first and last day The Eco-Home was not finished,
the wall still needs to be finished in proportion of 40% and interior furnishing needs to be done + the eco-garden around the house. For this, in February 2013 we will organize a work-camp for greek and international people interested in learning how to build an eco-home. After that, in Spring, we will organize a group European Voluntary Service, where young Europeans will work together for one month for furnishing the interior and for making the eco-garden See You In 2013!!! When finished, the house will have a water cleaning system also Here's the Making of video of the whole training 2013
This project has been funded with support from the European Commission. This publication reflects the views only of the author, and the Commission cannot be held responsible for any use which may be made of the information contained therein. Group EVS |: Short term Project
Hosting 17 volunteers from 8 countries
Date: From 3/5/2013 to 17 of June 2013
Venue: Nidri, Lefkas, Greece 1- Context of the activity: The concept of “home” is fundamental to human life. It is an area of "anchoring" and emotional bonding, power source and open communication. Home is the center of our "microcosm". It is where we pass the most important moments of life. Home recounts the family history, the history of each individual and the planet's history. Today, our lifestyle and the way we construct our homes have worrying implications for human health and the planet. It therefore becomes important to promote the construction of ecological homes, fuel-efficient energy, that respect the environment and local cultures of our area, in Europe and in our planet, such as allow us to actively participate in a real sustainable development. To achieve this objective and to preserve the lives of future generations on our planet is essential to invest to raise awareness the young people and to lead the new generation to engage in the sustainable development process.
In this context, we organized in June 2012 a training course for young
people and youth workers in order to build an eco-home, and to learn the
technique, and awareness by experience the benefits of ecological
construction. This eco-home have a production system for bio-gas, and a
photovoltaic system that supplies the house with 220 volts and 12 volts.
Although this house is not yet achieved, it became a place of visit and
experience by young people, educators and all those who are interested to
the environment and sustainable Development. 2- Summary: In May 2013, Solidarity Tracks is organizing a short term EVS project for
1 month for 20 young participants. This project takes place in the town
of Nidri, on the island of Lefkas, in Greece. During this month, the
volunteers are having the main activity of finishing an Eco-Home, more
exactly: applying earthen plasters and lime stucco, woodworking such as
counters, cupboards and shelving, installing electric and plumbing
appliances, tile placement in humidity stressed areas such as bathroom
and kitchen windows and door placement and finally, floor construction.
Besides these finishing activities, the 20 volunteers are planning how to
use the future garden area of the Eco-Home, and promote sustainable
development, eco-tourism and healthy lifestyles to the local community
with the concrete example set by the Eco-Home and in the same time acting as ambassadors of Eco Building and Sustainable Development in their own countries.
This eco-home is a forum for young people for promoting eco-life and
the values of sustainable development. The basic things that you can learn during your EVS: - How to make biogas system
- How to filter and reuse water
- How to install Panel solar
- How to use your technical and pedagogical skills to promote ecological constructions in your city.
- To learn more about sustainable development by practicing.
- How organize an outdoor event, and how to work with children
You can also learn from others about new cultures, new skills and new experiences. Venue: Lodging: Your accommodation you have in “IOANNA, Rooms to let: situated 1100 metres from the town and 60 meters from the working place. www.ioanna-apts.yolasite.com
You have to share the apartment with 3 or 4 for other participants.
The working place is 10 minutes walk from the center of Nidri, close to cafes, bars, clubs, restaurants, shops, internet café etc. Working place: Our working place will be in a field near the place of accommodation, and
15 minutes walking from the town. Our youth EVS project is taking place in Nidri. Situated on the East Coast of Lefkas (Levkas, Lefkada), Nidri is also sometimes spelt Nydri and is the Islands' main tourist resort. Halfway
between Lefkada Town (16 km north) where the island is connected by road bridge to the mainland, and Vassiliki (21km south) with its ferry connection to Keffalonia, Nidri has it's own small ferry port with ferries to Meganisi. Nidri has quite a good local bus service. The immediate area around Nidri village on Lefkas is fairly flat and is good for gentle cycle rides and walks through the olive groves. Try a walk to the Nydri Waterfalls near Rahi village (approx. 4km), or cycle around Vlicho Bay to the little white church of Agia Kiriaki on the headland of Geni
(Yeni). Although the white church is opposite Nidri and only a few hundred meters by sea, the journey is approximately 8 km by land. For those with more energy there are walks into the surrounding hills to Paleokatouna, Neohori and Haradiatika; and in spring the flowers and blossoms are beautiful.
Discover Nidri town in:
http://www.lefkadaslowguide.gr/en/route.php?id=9 Arrival Intercultural dinner Building and finishing Eco house Hard team work Installing the windows, building outside
and inside walls Working process Participation in
European Youth week Solar panel and electrical system