Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Using Live Chat to Bridge the Gap
Transcript of Using Live Chat to Bridge the Gap
to Bridge the Gap
Research showed biggest challenges were faculty learning the technology and how to manage the online environment.
Ellingson and Notbohm (2012)
Researchers looked at satisfaction as being related to motivation by listening to what students want as part of the online experience. Some key elements were maintaining frequent interaction, having a regular presence, and making expectations clear.
Dennen, Darabi, Aubeteen, and Smith (2007)
Research showed that classes needed to have a meaningful activity, one that supports the content in some way to have a positive impact on perception. In other words, just requiring the use of a synchronous session was not what students perceived as being important. The example used in the article was office hours. Just having “live” office hours was not perceived to have a benefit.
Carver, Todd, Hahn, and Mukherjee (2013)
Janell Gibson, Parker University
Dr. Jeanne Bedell, Keiser University
Jill Burgett, Keiser University
Teaching Difficult Concepts
33% decrease in the number of students that dropped the classes
40% decrease in the students that scored below a C
Engaging and Motivating
Regular Presence and Class Expectation
McInnerney and Roberts (2004) found the synchronous component gives students a feeling of social interaction.
Clear Direction and Explanation
Develop and maintain quality distance learning courses
(1) Apply the main features
(2) Learn the steps needed to create a successful live chat session that includes both innovative design and faculty interaction.
(3) Identify how those improvements can be made based on the ideas presented during this session.
Developing a process for training faculty
Questions and Comments
Prepare Students for technology
Students Understanding Technology
Virtual Field Trip
How can this be better?