Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Building Vocabulary ver.1 more CFUs
Transcript of Building Vocabulary ver.1 more CFUs
Write a definition for the following words:
Remember - we are silent when music is playing
# of words in the English Language?
# of words an 8th grader should know.......??
Word part that comes (usually) from Latin or Greek
* Base roots stand alone
phone = sound
* Combining roots need another word part to be a whole word
tele = far
Word parts that come before a root
un = not
im = not
Word parts that come after the root
Remember that we are here to learn
*We are focused
*We are respectful
*At 0 we are....
- in seats
- eyes on me
- lips zipped
The Power of Words
# of words a college graduate should know...
2. By breaking down unknown words
into smaller parts that you do know.
Let's Try it Together...
You graduate from high school in 4 years......
College in another 4.......
So how do we get you from
Two types of roots
ology = the study of
er = more of
= study of
the study of animals
Prefix = = not
Root = = to believe
Suffix = = possible
Tell each other about the two kinds of
Share some examples....
Who can tell us what a prefix is?
Who can tell us what a suffix is?
Who can give us an example of one?
- Each player tries to create words for points. (CHART)
NOT on chart 3 points
* Gives the definition 1 point
- Each turn lasts until player has no more cards to play.
- Play begins to the left of dealer.
Complete worksheet on your own.
You learned -
- How to define prefix,root, and suffix.
- How to break words down.
- How to define each word part.-
- How to define ENTIRE words based on
those word parts.
- After turn, draw cards so you have 5.
- Pick a dealer and a scorekeepr.
- Deal 5 cards, turn 1 card over, make a draw pile.
- If you can't play a word part, you lose your turn.
- Play until time is called - track points - most points wins!
base root =
Combining root =
How does this help you build
If you don't know the WHOLE word but you know how to break it down into PARTS you do know......you can figure out the rest.
Do you know what a prefix is?
Do you know what a root is?
-the two kinds of roots?
Do you know what a suffix is?
Do you know how to break a word down into its parts?
Can you make a definition out of those parts?