Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of Medical Math
• Conversions ...15%
• Computation of drug dosages ...35%
• Calculate IV flow rate ....5%
• Calculate pediatric dosages ...10%
• Intake and Output ...5%
• Ratios; Proportions: Percent - Solution Problems ...25% Test Plan: At the National Leadership Conference, HOSA will provide basic hand held calculators for addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. The conversion chart in the guidelines will be used as the official reference for the test for unity. During the test, competitors may not use a conversion chart. A series of twenty-five (25) tie breaking questions will be administered with the original test. In case of a tie, successive sets of five tie-breaker questions will be used until a winner is determined. In the tie-breaker, correct spelling is required for an item to be considered correct. Official references for selections of symbols, abbreviations, and problems are:
Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary., Edited by Clayton L. Thomas, M.D., F.A. Davis Company. Latest edition.
Simmers, Louise, Diversified Health Occupations (OR Introduction to Health Science Technology) Delmar, Latest edition.
Olsen, et al, Medical Dosage Calculations. Prentice Hall. Latest edition.
Craig, Gloria. Clinical Calculations Made Easy. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Latest edition. All competitors must report to the site of the event at the time designated for the event orientation. The test will immediately follow the orientation. No proxies will be allowed for the orientation. There will be a maximum of 90 minutes to complete the test. The test tie-breakers are more challenging problems requiring critical thinking and multiple steps in solving problems Competitors should bring number 2 lead pencils, and are encouraged to wear a watch to keep track of the time during the test. Most HOSA event rooms do not have wall clocks. A printed copy of the event guidelines for the event orientation. Why I chose this event I chose this event because I really enjoy math and doing math problems. I also enjoyed doing all the pharmacology problems last year. I'm really good at math. Example Test Question:
The physician ordered 1000 ml of D5W to be infused at 20 gtt/min. How long will it take for the I.V. to be completed?
A. 12 1/2 hours
B. 15 1/2 hours
C. 25 hours
D. 30 1/4 hours
E. none of the above