Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Webb's Depth of Knowledge
Transcript of Webb's Depth of Knowledge
-a reference to the complexity of the mental processing that must occur to answer a question, perform a task or generate a product
Webb's Depth of Knowledge
What DOK IS NOT
Depth of Knowledge Video
Think Pair Share
1. How do you currently measure the complexity of a question or task?
2. What do you think Webb's Depth of Knowledge is?
3. Define Cognitive Rigor.
1. Describe rigor in relation to Webb's DOK Framework
Why is DOK Important?
To align Instructional and Assessment activities with the cognitive rigor needed to master the Common Core Learning Standards.
2. You will be able to evaluate the rigor of questions, student tasks, or assessment items using DOK.
-about using verbs
What DOK IS
DOK and Verbs
The DOK is NOT determined by the verb (Bloom's), but by the context in which the verb is used and the depth of thinking required.
- Strategic Thinking
- Extending Thinking
Using "The Three Little Pigs"
Level 1 - Describe each pig in the story.
Level 2 - Describe how the pigs are alike and different in the story.
Level 3 - Describe your analysis of the literary elements in the story.
Pizza Data Activity
Use the Data below to develop a basic Level 1 question and a rigorous Level 3 question.
What comes after the verb is MORE important than the verb itself:
"Analylze this sentence to determine if the commas have been used correctly" does not meet the criteria for high cognitive processing.
Share with your partner: What makes your question rigorous or basic?
DOK is NOT about Difficulty
Difficulty is a measure of how many students answer a quetion correctly
.........the amount and complexity of the mental processing ruired by the task and.........
......how deeply the content must be known in order to complete the task.
DOK 1 & 2:
There is usually only one "right" answer
-Multiple ways to get a right answer
-Requires deep understanding shown by reasoning such as planning, organizing and synthesizing.
-Requires students to justify responses, cite evidence and use for reasoning.
-Requires high cognitive demand (very complex)
-Students are expected to make connections (relate ideas within the context or between content areas)
-This requires an extended period of time.
What is Cognitive Rigor?
–What type of thinking (verbs) is
needed to complete a task?
–How deeply do you have to
understand the content to successfully
interact with it? How complex is the content?
Rigorous questions and tasks tend to be open-ended, rather than having one simple answer.
Depth of Knowledge Activity!!!!
1. Get with your region
2. Find your unit assignment in your
3. With your region pick, a standard from your unit assignment
4. Next, come up with a DOK Level 2 question and a level DOK Level 3 question
5. If you have large groups, split them in half
6. Please refer to the DOK Wheel Chart in your binders for help!