Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
15.1 Darwin's Theory of Evolution by Natural Selection
Transcript of 15.1 Darwin's Theory of Evolution by Natural Selection
Set sail on the HMS Beagle
The concept of gradual change over time was still years away
Darwin's role was as a naturalist
Made extensive collections of rocks, fossils, plants, and animals
He hypothesized that new species could appear gradually through small changes in ancestral species.
Evolution occurs by Natural Selection- organisms with favorable traits survive, reproduce and pass on those traits to their offspring.
Four requirements for Natural Selection:
2. Variations can be inherited
they are passed down from parents to offspring.
1. There must be genetic variation in a population.
if there is no genetic variation-there is no advantage for survival.
3. Organisms have more offspring than can survive on available resources.
only organisms with advantageous traits will survive to pass them on
4. Variations that increase reproductive success will have a greater chance of being passed on than those that do not increase reproductive success.
If having an advantage helps the organism survive, it will survive, reproduce, and pass on this advantage.
The Origin of Species
Published by Charles Darwin in 1859
Compiled evidence of evolution and explained how natural selection might provide a mechanism for the origin of species
Evolution: cumulative changes in groups of organisms through time
EQ: What evidence convinced Darwin that species could change over time?