Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of Character Counts
in teacher training? Examples of the need... “To educate a person in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society.” A nation or a culture cannot long endure unless it is undergirded by common values.... It cannot stand unless it is populated by people who will act on motives superior to their own immediate interest.
--Chuck Colson, "Against the Night" You must be the change you wish to see in the world. --Ghandi "Leadership is a potent combination of strategy
and character. But if you must be without one, be without strategy".
--Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf To see what is right and not to do it is want of courage.
--Confucius To sin by silence when they should protest makes cowards of men.
--Abraham Lincoln "Choose a good reputation over great riches; being held in high esteem is better than silver or gold".
--King Solomon (Proverbs 22:1) Cornerstones to Ethical Behaviour
1. Tell the truth
2. Keep your promises
3. Keep others’ confidences
4. Take responsibility for your mistakes
5. Avoid conflicts of interest
6. Neither offer nor accept bribes Values & Ethics for Academics 1. Ethical behavior facilitates trust in relationships. 2. Unethical behavior leads to organizational dysfunction. 3. Unethical behavior causes public distrust. 4. Unethical behavior hurts people. Considering your life goals,
what is your highest aspiration?
Integrity Personal Values Ethics Professional Values CORE VALUES
of Code of Ethics
for Educators Values Exercise Define Ethics If integrity places second to any of the others,
you may find yourself sacrificing integrity when the top aspiration is challenged. And it will be challenged. Professional Ethics Character Education:
One Curriculum Case Studies in Groups Example:
Australian Catholic University Code Summary Can ethics be taught? Do we need to...? --Teddy Roosevelt, US President, 1901-09 To remind ourselves and to educate the next generation. Session Objectives
1. Define ethics
2. Create/defend personal list of values
3. Decide/discuss an ethical dilemma
based on personal & corporate values Other examples? T R I B E