Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Supreme Court
Article III Section I
8 Associate Judges
Famous court case that first asserted judicial review
Decide the constitutionality of an act of government
Supreme Court has final authority on the meaning of the Constitution
Judicial Review is not written in the Constitution
8,000 appeals to Supreme Court every year
Supreme Court has original AND appelate jurisdiction
Original Jurisdiction: If state is involved and if affecting ambassadors, public ministers and consuls
The ONLY court specifically created by the Constitution
Marbury v. Madison
Night before leaving office, Adams signed judicial commissions
Approved by Senate
Marbury was included
Other judges as well
Jefferson gets mad!
Tells James Madison to not deliver those commissions
based on Judiciary Act of 1789
right to hear suits in its original jurisdiction
Supreme Court Decision
Refused Marbury's Request
1. Established that the Constitution is the supreme law of the land
2. All legislative acts and other actions of government are subordinate (inferior) to the supreme law and cannot be allowed to conflict with it.
3. Judges are sworn to enforce the provisions of the Constitution. Therefore, may refuse to enforce any government action they find to be in conflict with it.
Writ of certiorari
9 Total Judges on the Supreme Court
In any case involving any question arising under the Constitution, an act of Congress, or a treaty of the United States
Outgoing President (Federalist)
Incoming President (Democratic-Republican)
Incoming Secretary of State
Appointed a Justice of the Peace for the District of Colombia
Chief Justice of the Supreme Court
Why do you think Adams wanted to "pack the court?"
Do you think that Marbury was right to do this?
Judiciary Act was unconstitutional!
What could be some problems with judicial review?
The rule of 4:
4 judges must agree to put case in docket
"To be made more certain"
An order by the Court directing a lower court to send up the record in a given case for its review
First Monday in October to June or July
Oral Arguments: 2 weeks
maximum 30 minutes
Recess: 2 weeks
Briefs: written documents filed BEFORE oral arguments begin