Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Creating A Paragraph
Transcript of Creating A Paragraph
- Acts as the building blocks of your essay
- Helps your reader follow your argument and understand your points.
Made up of 4 main parts:
T - Topic Sentence
E - Example
L- Link to the question - Topic Sentences act as a one line summary of your paragraph, they should:
- Be the most general sentence in the paragraph, but still specific enough to outline the main point.
- Move the argument forward, not just repeat the topic sentence of the previous topic.
To write a topic sentence you must ask yourself:
- What is the main point of the paragraph?
- How does this relate to main question? T - Topic Sentence These supporting sentences explain and prove the idea established in the topic sentence.
The example is used to show evidence that what you are saying in the topic sentence is true. Common examples used are:
- Film techniques
- Scene descriptions
Explanations follow the example and are used and give further details and reasons as to how the example supports the topic sentence, and why the topic sentence is true. E - Example E - Explain - The linking sentence acts as a conclusion to the paragraph, summarising the main point and restating the topic sentence.
- However, unlike the topic sentence it is closing the paragraph and can use the examples and support to convince the reader of their point. L - Link - A focused, clear topic sentence.
- Enough relevant support to prove the point in the topic sentence.
- A concluding sentence that restates the main point and signals the closing of that specific idea. 'Boyz n the hood' is a good movie.
The film ‘Boyz n the hood’ explores many ideas about racism and stereotypes within society.
People like 'Boyz n the hood' because of the amount of violence in the movie. Pick the topic sentence: 'The army is no place for a black man'
'They don't care, its only another nigger dead on the street.'
'Too bad you didn't get him, it would of been one less nigger on the street we need to get' h The low angle shot of the children is used to make them seem smaller and insignificant and worthless within thier own society.
The close used on Furious' face, shows his concern for Tre's safety when he goes out after Ricky's death.
The point of view angle used when Tre gets pulled over by the policeman is used to put the audience is Tre's position and make them feel the fear Tre feels. The scene where Furious is waiting for the police after the break in, shows the unequal treatment people receive, just because they come from a poor neighbourhood.
The stereotypes of the black community are shown through the violent scenes surrounding Ricky's death. This can be seen through the use of an extreme close up of the gunman, when Ricky gets shot. This type of extreme close up is used to show the emotion of the gunman, that even though he and Ricky are part of the same group and social situation, his anger makes him believe the stereotype, that Ricky's life is worthless. 'Boyz n the hood' also explores the issues of discrimination amongst people of the same race. This shows that discrimination and racism are not limited to different races, but anyone who believes these discriminatory stereotypes. Pick the linking Sentence. This shows that even though African Americans are told they have the same rights, in practice they are targeted and discriminated against, based on their race.
The movie shows discrimination against minority groups.
The use of a closeup shows how discrimination impacts on peoples lives. The film 'Boyz n the hood' explores many ideas about racism and stereotypes within society. One example of this is when Furious says 'The army is no place for a black man' Furious uses this to explain to Tre that he must learn and understand his place in society, and not to do anything that puts him in a position to be discriminated against by others. This shows that even though African Americans are told they have the same rights, in practice they are still targeted and discriminated against, based on their race. Furious uses this to explain to Tre that he must learn and understand his place in society, and not do anything that puts him in a position for him to be discriminated against.