Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
The Yellow Wallpaper
Transcript of The Yellow Wallpaper
Feminist The Approaches: Formalistic Genre: Short Story/ Psychological thriller
Setting: Nursery Home
Characters: John (husband), Jenny (Caretaker), Narrator (Wife) Name Unknown.
POV: First person, narrative from wife
Time: Around 1892
Atmosphere: Starts out normal and then progressively gets darker, scarier.
Symbol: Wallpaper Overview Psychological The Yellow
Wallpaper Super ego Ego Id Her obsession of the paper feels that John’s treatment methods of rest are not working writing about the paper break her down mentally and physically Johns cure: rest and no writing. Any stress to her such as her writing will hurt her more. Her desire to see the baby is stopped by her illness. Her depression balances her ID and Superego Balanced and creative character. Caring husband
oppressed wife She wants to get well quickly so she can get out of bed and get back to her life. Feminist 1. Enforced isolation
2. No fundamental activities to keep her occupied.
3. No say in the matter Female Oppression 1. Husband attempts to discard all writing utensils.
2. She feels as though she cannot express her thoughts to her husband so
her only outlet is writing.
3. “there are things in that paper that nobody knows but me, or ever will”
4. Deliberately creates a barrier between her and the rest of the world. Creativity in women is often turned into a mental illness by men. 1. John plays a more dominant role in the relationship
2. He restricts his wife and takes away her control of her own life
3. Forces her to keep a distance from their baby Male dominance in a relationship Traditional Queer-wrong
Draught-occurred of air
Sticketh-old fashioned Textual / Linguistic Biographical Charlotte Perkins Gilman
Wrote The Yellow Wallpaper based on her life experiences.
During her marriage she began to suffer from depression, possibly post-partum.
Joined femenist group after
Diagnosed from incurable breast cancer and died 1935 Historical Century of woman oppression
Very few political rights
Had to obey the wishes of their husbands The End