Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of Functional Theory
Functionalists first see education in its manifest role: conveying basic knowledge and skills to the next generation.
Romantic and Ideal Views on Education and Schooling Emanating from Functional Theory
1. Education is the great equalizer of the poor and the rich in the society;
Functional View on Society
"3 6 9"
2. Education is a solution to all individual, societal, and global problems;
3. Education promote intercultural harmony, human liberation, and development;
4. Education is an agent toward ending discrimination, conflict, and violence;
5. Education is an essential component in the preparation for national and global citizenship;
6. Education is a tool for the attainment of social efficiency and social effectiveness in a multicultural society;
7. Education is the country's last straw of hope for catching up with her neighbors;
8. Education is a ticket away from poverty;
9. School promotes political integration and develops a a sense of national identity; and
10. School is the institution that fulfills the social responsibility of preparing the future generation of any modern society.
-is a system of
interconnected parts that work together in harmony to maintain a state of balance and social
equilibrium for the whole. These include, among others, the need for progress, justice, peace, economic sustainability, political stability, and productive human resources.
Functional View on School
-Education performs a positive function for all individuals in society and has a powerful influence over it. Specially, schools participating in solving the economic, political, social, moral, and cultural problems in the nation.
Key Ideas Associated with Functional Theory
Two key ideas are associated with functional theory to ensure the fulfillment of society's order, stability, and harmony. These major roles are: role differentiation and social solidarity.
-Stresses that there are various roles that have t be fulfilled in a given society which may require different knowledge, skills, or attitudes.
-On the other hand, guarantees that people occupying different roles in the society have a fair level of importance as there is interdependence with one another for societal survival and development.
Presuppositions of functional theory
There are three assumption of functional theory:
- Meritocratic Society
- Expert Society
- Democratic Society
- Emphasizes the equal chances of everyone to obtain educational success in the society.
- Which depends preeminently on rational knowledge for economic growth and smooth running society.
- People are able to move gradually toward the achievement of humane goals, social justice, acceptance of diversity, and a more fulfilling life for all.
The Role of Schools According to functional Theory
From the functional perspective, the role of schools is to enhance the operation and stability of society. Schools teach the young the vital functions of the different institutions like family, government, military, church, business sector, and mass media in the making of a society.