Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Adding and Subtracting Polynomials
Transcript of Adding and Subtracting Polynomials
terms, so when you combine them you subtract instead of adding together. When adding vertically:
7x +9x+3 More Problems 1. (2x -x)+(x +3x+1) 3x +5-7x +12 Like Terms When adding or subtracting polynomials,
you have to combine like terms.
Two or more terms can be combined when
they have the same variable with the same
exponent. What's a Polynomial? Subtracting Vertical and Horizontal Form Try These Problems: A polynomial is a monomial or the sum or difference of monomials.
Monomials, binomials, and trinomials
are all polynomials. Monomials
A number by itself or a number with one variable. It has only one term.
5 or 5x Examples Binomials
The sum or difference of two monomials, or terms. 2 3x+23 8x -42 Examples: 2 Trinomials A polynomial with three terms either added and/or subtracted. Examples:
-x -4x+5 2 2 Examples: 3x+5+7x 33y +4x+62y 2 2 8z+z-4z 15m +6m +2m 3 2 3 15m +6m +2m 3 2 3 Combine the terms. 15m +2m +6m 3 2 3 17m +6m 2 Since 15m and 2m are like terms, they
can be combined. The other term, 6m ,
doesn't have any like terms, so it's not
combined. When 15m and 2m are added together, it equals 17m , making the answer 17m +6m . 3 3 2 3 3 3 3 2 2 2 Rearrange these terms 3x +5-7x +12 2 2 3x -7x +5+12 2 2 -4x +17 2 1. 4z -8+16z +2 4 4 2. 2x +7y -x -y 8 8 8 8 3. 2x +3x +x Make sure the answer is in standard form; the term with the highest degree being first. 3 Highest degree Second highest degree Answers: 1. 20z -6 4 2. x +6y 8 8 3. 5x +x 2 2 2 2 2 2 When adding horizontally:
(5x +4x+1)+(2x +5x+2)
=(5x +2x )+(4x+5x+)+(1+2)
=7x +9x+3 2 2 2 2 2 Just like adding regular numbers Find like terms Regroup 2. (4b +8b)+(3b +6b-7b +b) 3. 2x +6
------- 2 2 5 5 5 2 2
1. 3x +2x-1
3. -2x +6 2 2 Answers Word Problem The length of a rectangle is represented by 4a+3b, and its width is represented by 7a-2b. Write a polynomial for the perimeter of the rectangle. Answer to Word Problem: 22a-2b Thanks for Watching!!!!!!!!! Special thanks to Ms. Fredenburg