Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of PITCH
- Mylo Xyloto
- Up in Flames
HOW CAN WE ACHIEVE
HIGH PRODUCTION VALUES?
- Several cinematic techniques:
- High or low contrast filter
- Slow Motion
Yellow - Coldplay (Lawrence, 2009)
Love Lost - The Temper Trap (2010)
Love and Oxygen - Str8jackets (2012)
The Scientist - Coldplay (Thraves, 2002)
Sweet Disposition - Temper Trap (Eskils, 2010)
- General feel and mood of the video
- Reversed video with lip syncing/performance
- Interesting overlaying video with text, graphics and colour
- Constant tracking backwards of a character
- One single shot/take & slow motion
Music Video Analysis
SOMETHING GOOD - ALT J (2012)
- Fast cutting rate
- Some very long duration shots
- Rule of thirds is broken
- Breaks fourth wall
- Matador centrally framed
Set in modern day society, a small 10 year old boy is seen to be getting told off by his parents through the windows of their home. For his mother this is the final stand and is banished from his home. As an audience we are unaware of the cause of this argument surrounding this video with enigma and unanswered questions from the start. Whilst we are viewing this, there are establishing shots of rural areas with small installations such as an abandoned shed and railway track. This sets the scene and after 15 seconds the audience links the setting and the boys current location together due to the juxtaposition of shots. During this montage of clips, titles such as ‘Coldplay in’ and ‘Parlophone Records’ will appear in the conventional Coldplay font in bright colours which are slightly transparent/overlayed.
Dark coloured clothes
Worn/old jumper & jeans
Bright coloured clothes
New raincoats & wellies
- Industrial, urban look
- Old, disused barns/workshops
Several Other Locations...
FONTS & TYPOGRAPHY
The font in music videos is very important to get right. It adds to the meta-narrative of the band, and the text that is displayed almost becomes the band's icon.
Chosen Font: EVERY TRUETYPE IS A WISEFONT
Website used: www.dafont.com
- Montage edit with CU of boy in different locations
- Overlay locations much more easily with the boy centrally framed if we use a green screen
- The boy's slightly supernatural side will be shown through overlaying different footage on top of the other
- ES (Establishing Shots)
- MS (Mid Shots)
- CU (Close Ups)
- Tracking shots
- Time lapses
Camera framing and positioning, lighting, CU of seagull, editing techniques like time lapses and colour correction to make it look cinematic and professional
Didn't shoot enough footage so we had to fill in the space with unwanted shots
Shoot lots! More than we need
These are 6 iconic stills for our music video
- We will shoot at 50fps so that we can slow the footage down
- The boy will have to lip-sync twice as fast so that it looks normal
- Very bright and colourful
- Reinforce the genre & sound
- Colour, tone & texture
- Bold, rounded outline white text
- Enigma (album name)
- Reinforces meta-narrative
- Neon, electric, aimed at teenage target audience
- Smoother surface matches slower feel
- Bright colours match genre of music and majority of their upbeat songs
- Meta narrative is constructed through signs and symbols (iconography) relate to songs
- Conventional Coldplay texts used
Digipak & Advert
CLOCKS - COLDPLAY, LEUNG (2003)
- 90% shots are meat shots
- Flashing lighting emphasises beat
- Breaking rule of thirds
- Central framing to break fourth wall
- Story line to do with flames
- Relationship/physical fire
- Boring as lyrics are repetitive
- Little to no relation between performing and title
3) PROPS & COSTUME
- Dark, worn, plain clothes
- Fire, sparklers, flares & glow sticks
- Rural and urban (fields, desolate houses/barns)
- Interior locations (houses)
- Angry feelings (lyrics) despite the calm sound
- Children enjoying themselves
- Ideas of burning and destruction in slow motion
After these clips a small montage will occur with a similar disturbant soundtrack to that of the video ‘You and I’ by Lady Gaga to create suspense and focus the audiences attention on the visuals. This will consists of the boy, previously seen before looking into the camera-breaking the fourth wall and rule of thirds to reach out to the audience at eye-line level. This is saturated creating emotional colouration. The location the boy is in will flick between around 10 different scenes before quickly snapping to our main location of the rural, concrete area seen in out location reccie photos. The beat of the song will begin and the video will switch for black to visuals through a varied cutting rate.
The main sequence then commences with the main ‘meat’ of the video consisting of a steady track backwards from the boys eyes using a thin ‘letter box’ aspect ratio. There is a fire between the camera and the boy relating to the boys life turning upside down and literally going ‘up in flames’. The boy is looking around behind him and lip syncing to the track, although filmed at 50fps the track will be payed double speed to allow time stretch in post. There are 3-4 children playing behind the boy who is plain faced and emotionless. These seem to be happy children who are enjoying each others company and playing games together. This is to contrast the appearance and emotions of them with the boy as well as to create a symbol by which to relate the child to normal society. This visual hook is intercut between shots of the boy seemingly turn devil like by overlaying several sped up clips of him on top of one another as well as shots of toys being destroyed and thrown on the floor in slow motion and the children playing.
Meta narrative is constructed with the symbols in the Mylo Xyloto album seemingly tattooed to the upper section of his cheek below the eye line. Several Coldplay symbols and the logo for up in flames will appear in the montage before the track begins.
The video will be shot at 720p at 50fps.