Loading presentation...

Present Remotely

Send the link below via email or IM

Copy

Present to your audience

Start remote presentation

  • Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
  • People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
  • This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
  • A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
  • Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article

Do you really want to delete this prezi?

Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.

DeleteCancel

Make your likes visible on Facebook?

Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.

No, thanks

Schizophrenia

No description
by

Cecilia Hernandez

on 4 November 2013

Comments (0)

Please log in to add your comment.

Report abuse

Transcript of Schizophrenia

Schizophrenia
It is sometimes called a psychotic disorder or a psychosis.
Schizophrenia
Is the most chronic and disabling of the severe Mental disorders associated with abnormalities of brain structure and function, disorganized speech and behavior, delusions, hallucinations.
Schizophrenia
Information
-schizophrenia affects approximately 1% of the population over 18 years of age.
-people with serious mental illness have a shorter life expectancy.
- men and women are at equal risk of developing the desease.
- brain disorder that affects approximately 1% of both men and women worldwide
SYMPTOMS
Delusion
(persecutory)- when you think everyone is "out to get you"
(referential)- when they interpret objects or occurrences in the environment.
(Anhedonia)- the loss of the capacity for enjoyment or pleasure.
(Alogia)-when someone has little to say and is not able to expand on their statements.
GENETIC
-If your parent has schizophrenia then their is a 10% risk of you having it too but if you have a twin that has it then your chances of having it are from 40% to 50%
People with schizophrenia don't have the same symptoms as other people, some of these symptoms might change over time.
Some of the symptoms might start at age 6 or 7, but it can happen at any age sometimes before 5 years and sometimes even after 80 years old but this is really rare. The most common is during adolescence.

Description
NEUROBIOLOGICAL
-The reduce activity in a part of the brain called the prefrontal cortex was associated in the patients. High levels of dopamine causes schizophrenia people to experience delusions and hallucinations of psychotic episodes
causes
Medication
Treatment for symptom reduction
Therapy
If the causes of the disorder have not yet been identified some might not receive the right treatment.
A recent study showed that less than half of the patients with schizophrenia receive correct medication.
Treatment
Full transcript