Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Ch 5: The Gospel of Matthew
Transcript of Ch 5: The Gospel of Matthew
Ch. 5: The Gospel of Matthew
Sect. 2: Background on Matthew
Sect. 3: Jesus the Teacher
1. What is one way that Jesus helps you on your path to true greatness?
2. How can you continue to strive for greatness everyday?
Themes of Matthew's Gospel:
1. How does Matthew's Gospel portray Jesus?
2. What does Jesus teach us primarily?
3. How do we know Matthew's audience was Jewish?
4. How is Matthew like a "bridge"?
Discourse 1: Sermon on the Mount
Teaches us how to live
Old Law vs. New Law?
Salt and Light
"Salt of the earth"
"Light of the world!"
The Holy Spirit helps us to
Discourse 2: Discipleship
1. What's the purpose of the Sermon on the Mount?
2. How does the New Law differ from the Old?
3. Are Jesus' standards too high? Why/why not?
4. Why does Matthew's gospel begin with Jesus' lineage?
Discourse 3: Parables about the Kingdom
Discourse 4: Jesus Establishes the Church
So, why do we need a hierarchy? Can't we just follow whatever we feel Jesus is calling us to?
Discourse 5: The Final Judgment
Jesus teaches us to
...The path to true
Matthew the Apostle
How do we know this?
Matthew is the first Gospel in the New Testament
Between 80 and 85 A.D.
Around the time of the Roman revolt
-Caused tension between the Jews and Christians
Jesus is the fulfillment of the OT prophecies!
to establish the Church
-How does this impact Matthew's Gospel?
The 5 Discourses
How does Matthew begin his gospel?
"Father of the Jews"
What is Matthew hinting at?
Even better than this!
Offers a new hope for those suffering, why?
How is this different than what the world tells us happiness is?
1. Pray with our
2. Make God a priority
3. Bear good
Mission of the disciples:
Bring back lost sheep of Israel
Condition? No packing...
Hardships/rewards of being a disciple?
What is Heaven like?
Jesus' gives us a clue in the form of
Jesus gives Peter the "keys to the Kingdom"
Parable of the Lost Sheep
1. Like a "thief in the night"
2. Parable of the talents