Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Ethyl acatate is one of the most
Transcript of Ethyl acatate is one of the most
Application and Uses
MASS AND ENERGY BALANCES
Mass and Energy balances for production of ethyl acetate by esterification of acetic acid with ethanol is performed according to the process flow sheet
The objectives of this design project include the following:
• Integration of chemical engineering knowledge in a detailed design of chemical plants.
• Design of ethyl acetate plan which is economically feasible, safe and have minimum harm to environment.
• Using undergraduate knowledge to design process equipment such as reactive distillation column in accordance with the required standards.
• Developing skills on doing research, working as a team and leadership qualities.
The aim of this project is to design ethyl acetate with a yearly production capacity of 34,080,604 kg that have product purity between 85 and 90 weight percent.
Ethyl acetate an organic solvent used in a variety of coating formulations such as epoxies, urethanes, cellulosic, acrylics and vinyl. Global demand on ethyl acetate is expected to grow at a rate of 3-4 % per year because of the strong demand for surface coating and as a replacement for restricted solvents. According to ICIS reports
The general equation for material and energy balance is presented by Equation .
Input-Output+Generation-Consumption = Accumulation
Overall Material Balance
The plant is estimated to have 34k tones of production capacity
The input and output flows of the overall plant is illustrated in Figure
Mass balances of all stages are given in Table Complicated iterative calculations within the reactive distillation columns are performed using CHEMCAD steady state simulation.
2Reactive Distillation (D-101) Mass Balance
A generic continuous N-stage reactive distillation column with countercurrent cascade was designed. Figure illustrates schematic representation of the column.
The reactive distillation column is designed according to these assumptions.
1. The reaction occurs in the liquid phase.
2. Each phase is perfectly mixed implying that liquid composition at each stage is homogeneous and equal to the composition of liquid leaving that stage.
3. The vapor and liquid leaving any stage are in thermodynamic and mechanical equilibrium.
4. Entrainment of liquid drops in vapor and occlusion of vapor bubbles in liquid are negligible
1) The plant operates at steady state.
2)Kinetic and potential energies have been neglected in the calculations.
3) systems are assumed to be adiabatic.
The summary calculations of energy balance for each equipment are shown below.
Heat Exchanger (E-101)
Common assumptions for pumps:
• Steady flow steady state (SFSS)
• Work is in and heat transfer (if any) is out
• Potential energy is negligible relative to other energy terms
PRELIMINARY HAZARD ANALYSIS AND HAZOP
Site selection is an important parameter to design a profitable plant. In this project, site selection is achieved according to the factors given below
The main objectives of the plant layout are:
• To maximize safety
• To prevent spread of fire
• To facilitate easy operation and maintenance
• To consider future expansion
• To minimize the construction cost