Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Naming and Writing Formulas for acids and bases
Transcript of Naming and Writing Formulas for acids and bases
1. Sodium hydroxide ________________
2. Barium hydroxide ________________
3. Potassium hydroxide ________________
4. Lithium hydroxide ________________
5. Magnesium hydroxide ________________
4. HI _______________
5. H2S _______________ Naming Base Compounds and Writing Base Formulas Base- an ionic compound that produces hydroxide ions when dissolved in water.
Bases are named the same way as other ionic compounds. The name of the cation is followed by the name of the anion.
To write the formulas for bases, write the symbol for the metal cation followed by the formula for the hydroxide ion. Balance the ionic charges just as you do for any ionic compound. Give the names of these acids and bases.
1. HNO2 3. LiOH
2. HCN 4. Pb(OH)2
Identify is each compound is an acid or base.
1. Ba(OH)2 3. KOH
2. Fe(OH)2 4. HClO2 1. When the name of the anion ends in -ide, the acid name begins with the prefix hydro-. The stem of the anion has the suffix -ic and is followed by the word acid.
2. When the anion name ends in -ite, the acid name is the stem of the anion with the suffix -ous, followed by the word acid.
3.When the anion name ends in -ate, the acid name is the stem of the anion with the suffix -ic followed by the word acid.
Use the rules for the writing the names of acids in revers to write the formulas. If you know the name of an acid, you can write it's formula. Naming Acids -Chloride hydro-(stem)-ic acid hydrochloric acid
-Sulfite (stem)-ous acid sulfurous acid
-Nitrate (stem)-ic acid nitric acid Writing Acid Formulas -Hydrochloric acid HCl
-Sulfuric acid H2SO4
-Nitric acid HNO3
-Acetic acid CH3COOH
-Phosphororid acid H3POH
-Carbonic acid H2CO3 Sodium Hydroxide - NaOH
Potassium Hydroxide - KOH
Ammonium Hydroxide - NH4OH
Calcium Hydroxide - Ca(OH)2
Magnesium Hydroxide - Mg(OH)2
Barium Hydroxide - Ba(OH)2 Naming and Writing Bases Answer Key Bases Acids
1. NaOH 1. Hydrochloric acid
2. Ba(OH)2 2. Hydrofluoric acid
3. KOH 3. Hydrobromic acid
4. LiOH 4. Hydroiodic acid
5. Mg(OH)2 5. Hydrosulfuric acid