Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Product and Brand Failures: A marketing perspective
Transcript of Product and Brand Failures: A marketing perspective
How far can you stretch your brands?
Colgate's Kitchen Entrees
What is a brand extension?
Why did they fail?
general public could not get past the association of the brand with Colgate toothpaste
What went wrong
customers didn't come to Mc Donald's for pizza
the pizzas took too long to be made-and customers weren't willing to wait at a fastfood
Crystal Pepsi & Pepsi AM
Why didn't it work?
• too unfamiliar to win over customers
• People wanted their cola to be brown, as usual
Reasons of failure:
• There was no link between Bic’s other products
• the idea of buying intimate attire from a company that also produces pens apparently does not appeal to most women
Why they failed:
• Tied yogurt to a media brand in an ineffective way
• it was higher priced than other brand yogurts
Brand extension tips:
1. Brand Extension Research
2. Parent brands should have a distinctive property
3. Think of using sub-brands
refers to the expansion of the brand itself
occurs when a firm uses an existing brand name to introduce a new product
Comes in 2 forms:
(same category as the parent brand) and
(different category than the parent brand)