Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of Robots
What is the impact of robots on productivity, employment and jobs?
Robots, what are they?
"A machine capable of carrying out a complex series of actions automatically, especially one programmable by a computer." - Oxford Dictionary
- Surge of public interest in automation and robotics.
- Increase productivity and competitiveness
Robotics - A Presentation by Victorine
The Initial Perspective
- Contribute to a sense of insecurity about the employment prospects of current and future generations
Are we ignoring
- Increase competitiveness through faster product development and delivery
- Perform more efficiently and to a higher and more consistent level of quality than humans
- Greatest impact on those a) lack of diploma b) lack of intelligence
- Robots and employment rates (calculations by Harvard Business Review)
- Robots substitute labour activities but do not 100% replace jobs
- Focus on higher-skilled, higher-quality and higher-paid tasks
Will a robot take your job?
- ‘Although computer automation is not causing a net loss of jobs, it does imply a substantial displacement of jobs from some occupations to others.’ (Bessen 2016).
Initial thought VS.
Impact Productivity, Employment
- Many studies, all with different opinions
- Question is: How do we find a balance between automation and employment?