Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of Isolation Presentation
By Stephanie Chen, CNN | February 25, 2010
Tommy Silverstein has been held in solitary confinement for the past 27 years, longer than anyone else in the federal prison system, his lawyers say. He is locked up at the high-security prison in Florence, Colorado, known as Supermax. The lights are always on. Guards who slip him food through a slot in his cell door usually ignore him. A few times a week, he is permitted to exercise in the recreation room -- alone. Visits with his family and his lawyers are conducted through Plexiglas.
- CNN (http://articles.cnn.com/keyword/isolation) The Stranger vs Frankenstein Every person in today's world has a different opinion, personality and appearance. Many authors use these to portray their main characters better. Two novels in which this was a major component were 'Frankenstein' and 'The Stranger'. There are two main characters in each novel that are very similar by their emotions and loneliness. Both the creature and Meursault are isolated and 'different' from everybody else. Isolation Quote by Orson Welles “We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone,”Orson Welles. Song by Akon Lonely I'm so lonely
I have nobody
To call my own
I'm so lonely, I'm Mr. Lonely
I have nobody
To call my own
I'm so lonely
Yo this one here goes out to all my players out there
Ya know got to have one good girl whose always been there
Like ya know took all the bullshit
Then one day she can't take it no more and decides to leave
I woke up in the middle of the night
And I noticed my girl wasn't by my side
Coulda sworn I was dreamin', for her I was feenin'
So I hadda take a little ride
Back tracking ova these few years
Tryna figure out what I do to make it go bad
Cause ever since my girl left me
My whole left life came crashin'
- (http://lyrics.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=7084209) Newspaper article on isolation http://blogs.psychcentral.com/emotionally-sensitive/2013/01/from-loneliness-to-connection-a-beginning/ A man who had spent his whole life in the desert visited a friend. He'd never seen a train or the tracks they run on. While standing in the middle of the railroad tracks, he heard a whistle, but didn't know what it was. Predictably, he was hit and thrown to the side of the tracks, with some internal injuries, a few broken bones, and some bruises.
After months in the hospital recovering, he was at his friend's house attending a party. While in the kitchen, he suddenly heard the tea kettle whistling. He grabbed a baseball bat from the nearby closet and bashed the tea kettle into an unrecognizable lump of metal. His friend, hearing the ruckus, rushed into the kitchen, saw what had happened, and asked the desert man, "Why'd you ruin my good tea kettle?"
The desert man replied, "Man, you gotta kill these things when they're small."
http://www.dump.com/completeisolation/ Joke on isolation Definition:
A powerful feeling of emptiness and isolation; feeling disconnected from other people.
The first recorded use of the word lonely was by William Shakespeare.
"Loneliness is the worst pain in this world. It constantly eats away the person's heart, and can cause the person to hate, to feel enraged--the same rage and hate that can cause one person to kill another. It is like a wound of the heart; the type of wounds that cannot go away with a kiss or a hug. The only thing that can make this great pain go away is love and compassion, another human heart to pull them out of this hell."- Princess Diana Pictures on Isolation/Loneliness