Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
SITHFAB010C Prepare and serve non alcoholic beverages
Transcript of SITHFAB010C Prepare and serve non alcoholic beverages
1. Identify the soft drinks according to the letters on the post-mix.
G: Dry Ginger
Q: Lemon Squash
T: Tonic water
S: Soda water
2. Explain in four steps how you would make a lime and soda.
Step 1. Select a highball glass and add six cubes or half a scoop of ice.
Step 2. Add approximately 30 mls of lime.
Step 3. Top glass with soda water and stir in lime with bar spoon or swizzle stick.
Step 4. Serve with a slice of lemon and straw (if required).
3. Why shouldn’t you purchase juices such as peach and mango in two and five litre containers?
These are less popular mixers and would probably go off before you had a chance to use all of the juice.
4. List the ingredients and equipment required for the following drinks?
Fresh orange juice: Oranges, ice, slice of orange, Juicer, hi ball glass, straw
Peppermint tea (leaves): Tea leaves, Tea pot and strainer or plunger, teaspoon, cup, saucer
Raspberry and lemonade: Raspberry syrup, ice, lemonade, slice of lemon Hi ball glass, straw and or swizzle stick
Banana smoothie: Banana, Milk and / or yoghurt, honey Blender, long milkshake glass, straw, saucer, long spoon
5. Identify five common tea varieties and how they should be traditionally prepared.
6. Tea is prepared via infusion. What does this mean?
Infusion refers to the immersion of tea in boiling liquid until the flavours from the flowers, herbs or leaves are absorbed, producing an aromatic fluid.
7. How should you store tea leaves? Why should you store them this way?
Airtight container, cool area away from direct sunlight.
The tea will gradually lose its flavour if stored incorrectly.
8. List three methods of making coffee.
• Filter or drip
9. Other than tea or coffee, what is another very popular hot beverage and how is it made?
• Place two teaspoons of hot chocolate in glass.
• Heat milk to form froth.
• Add a small amount of hot milk to the chocolate powder and stir to dissolve.
• Top with remaining hot milk and add froth to the top.
• Sprinkle with chocolate.
• Serve on a saucer with napkin and teaspoon.
10. What is a mocktail? Provide two examples.
A mocktail is an alcohol-free beverage often made with juice, fresh fruit or soft drinks. Two examples include:
• Tropical fruit punch.
11. Garnishes can be served in the beverage or attached to the side of the glass. What beverages require the garnish in the glass and what beverages require a garnish on the side of the glass?
Garnishes served in the glass are used to impart flavour to the drink and are used in fruit juices, soft drinks and mineral waters. Garnishes in these drinks include the lemon and orange slice.
Garnishes served on the side of the glass are used purely for visual presentation although they are often eaten. They are used to decorate mocktails.
12. List the possible reasons for the appearance/taste of the following drinks?
The lemon squash is sickly sweet
The post-mix syrup has not been carbonated properly or the syrup box coupling and valve needs cleaning.
The milkshake only fills half the glass
You may be using the wrong glass or you haven’t followed the recipe correctly.
The tea looks very weak
Use measuring devices such as teaspoons – if you are making tea for example, measuring the tea is important.
13. The quantities of ingredients for a mocktail are 45 ml orange juice, 30 mls pineapple juice, 5 ml of grenadine and 15 ml of soda water. A group of customers order four (4) mocktails and rather than make them separately you will make all four at the one time. What are the total amounts I need of each ingredient?
• 180 ml orange juice
• 120 ml pineapple juice
• 20 ml grenadine
• 60 ml soda water
14. In your own words briefly explain the origin of coffee and tea?
15. Complete the table.
16. For the following non-alcoholic beverages list the characteristics of the ingredients?
e.g. Soda water
No taste, bubbly water
Dry Ginger Sweet, ginger
Tonic water Bitter, tart
Grenadine Sweet, raspberry
Lime syrup Sweet, lime
Mineral water No taste, bubbly water
Bitter lemon Bitter lemon, tart
1. Why is it important to clean the post-mix machines?
The concentrated syrup used in the post-mix systems has a very high sugar concentration. If the unit is not cleaned properly it will develop a build-up of sticky sugar which attracts ants and other unwanted pests.
2. What is the best way to clean the post-mix gun and hose?
Step 1. Remove the nozzle and soak in warm water, then brush and rinse in clean water.
Step 2. Use a cloth soaked in hot water to clean the gun. Don’t immerse the gun in water.
Step 3. Remove hose and clean the outlet with warm water. Immerse the hose in hot water to clean and dissolve any sugar build-up.
3. Half way through service, you discover that the lemon squash coming from the post-mix looks very weak. What would be the reason for this?
The post-mix box of syrup may be empty.
4. Using the equipment listed below, identify an OH&S issue that you must observe when cleaning this equipment.
(Answers may vary.)
Never leave knives in a sink. Wash immediately and store correctly.
Wipe boards regularly with a clean cloth and wash in hot soapy water between different food preparation tasks to avoid cross-contamination of foods. Leave to air dry.
Using soaps or detergents on teapots is not recommended as it can retain the detergent.
Cups and saucers
Ensure any items like cups and saucers that are soaked in bleaching agents (natural or chemical) are thoroughly rinsed to avoid any chemical contamination or tainting
Always turn off the power and unplug before cleaning.
5. Explain in your own words how the post mix dispensing unit works.
6. There is a problem with the refrigeration unit in that it appears to fluctuate dramatically in temperature. How do you respond to equipment problems? If you work in the industry, respond using the procedure in your workplace.
7. The use of electricity in running any business is substantial. Leaving equipment in standby mode when not in use has a significant impact on usage.
In the left hand column, list all the equipment in your workplace bar or training bar that uses electricity. In the right hand column, identify which items can be turned off at the power source (wall socket) when not in use.
8. List five water-saving tips that could be included in your establishment’s bar operating procedures.
Individual response required. Suggestions might include:
• Plates and cutlery should be scraped into bins for composting, not rinsed under running water.