Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Early Native American Literature: Myths and Legends
Transcript of Early Native American Literature: Myths and Legends
Elements of the Oral Literature
3. Ritual beginnings and endings
4. Specific structure
a. Introduction: Harmonious Situation
b. Thesis: Disruption of Harmony
c. Antithesis: Overcoming Disruption
d. Conclusion: Restoration of Harmony
Functions of Native American Literature
Beliefs about nature of physical world
Beliefs about social order and appropriate behavior
Beliefs about human nature and the problem of good and evil
Characteristics of Myths and Legends
1.Beings are animals spirits in more or less human form: monsters, confusions of nature
2.Culture hero or transformer orders the world
3. Culture hero or transformer turns animal people into animals
4. Other beings become landmarks
Culture heroes: Show how to do what is right and how we become the people we are (role models)
They also shape the world and gives it character by theft of sun, fire, or water
Trickster heroes: Provide for disorder and change.
They also enable us to see the seamy underside of life while reminding us that culture is artificial
1. Formation of the world through struggle and robbery
2. Movement from a sky world to a water world by means of a fall
3. Theft of fire (light/heat)
4. Emergence of beings from under the surface of the earth to its surface