Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Treasure Island
Timeline of Key Events in Treasure Island
This 1884 Edition of Treasure Island is valued up to$5,000.
An 1883 1st edition, 1st issue copy costs up to 30,000.
This presentation aims to track visually key narrative concepts, linking them to the characters and events that provide that information.
Cardinal Functions -
MacFarlane (1996, p.13) says Roland Barthes describes it as a ‘hinge-point’ in narrative. A point where the narrative changes direction because of an event taking place.
2012 British mini-series adaptation of Stevenson's (1883) Treasure Island :- pictured are -
Ben, Flint, Silver, Jim, Squire, Dr. Livesey, Capt Smollett.
1. Billy Bones arrives
Admiral Benbow Inn.
2. Black Dog, Blind Pew
and the pirates find
3. Jim Hawkins and his mother open the sea chest finding money and a mysterious oilskin packet.
4. Jim takes the packet to
5. In Bristol, the Hispaniola is purchased, Long John Silver is hired and they set sail for Treasure Island.
6. Jim overhears the crew plotting a revolt aboard the Hispaniola and warns the others
7. The Hispaniola arrives at Treasure Island, the pirate crew revolt and Jim slips away
8. Silver kills men, Jim finds Ben Gunn living on the Island, a battle breaks out
9. Jim seizes the Hispaniola, kills Israel Hands
10. Discovering the treasure is gone, the pirates rise up
11. The treasure Ben Gunn moved is recovered, the Hispaniola sails and pirates are marooned
12. On the way to England, Long John Silver escapes
dead men tell no tales...
Marks the spot...
Abe Books, Treasure Island, retrieved 5 October 2013, <http://www.abebooks.com/book-search/title/treasure-island/author/robert-louis-stevenson/first-edition/sortby/1/page-1/>.
MacFarlane, B 1996, Novel to film: an introduction to the theory of adaptation, Clarendon Press, Oxford.
Stevenson, RL 1911, Treasure island, Cassell and Company, London.
Stevenson, RL 1992, Treasure island, Readers Digest Press, Surry Hills, NSW.
Stevenson, RL 2005, Treasure island, Walker Books, Newtown NSW.
Stevenson, RL 2008, Treasure island, Penguin Books, London.
Treasure island 1990, film, Fraser Clarke Heston, USA.
Treasure island 2012, Television mini series, Sky1, United Kingdom, 1&2 January 2012.
Wyeth, N.C. 1911, Illustations for Treasure Island by R L Stevenson retrieved 4 October 2013, <https://www.google.com.au/search?q=N.C.+Wyeth,+1911,+for+Treasure+Island+by+Robert+Louis+Stevenson&es_sm=122&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=S95UUu6LG4XakAX-5oAQ&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1092&bih=544&dpr=1>.