Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Copy of Single Payer v.
Transcript of Copy of Single Payer v.
Single Payer System
- Under a single payer system, everyone would be able to receive needed medical services under one universal plan
As of 2002, the United States spent $150 billion in medical administrative costs
- A single-payer system is based on need, not the ability to pay
Single Payer System
- Developing a single payer system will also allow the nation to have a single database, with a single set of laws, regulations, and prices, as well as creating a standard for patients privacy
- people will be able to keep seeing the same doctors they have already established relationships with
- Care will no longer be based on finances and insurance, but can become patient centered
- The quality of care under a multi-payer system is superior due to competition among private health insurers
- The collaboration of the insurance companies and health service organizations in the multi-payer system yields extensive record keeping that reveals an “accurate performance measurement” of each health care facility
- Financing of health care under the multi-payer system in the United States lends responsibility not to just the insurance company or the health care organization, but to the individual patient as well
- A multi-payer system has to continuously innovate to stay ahead of the competition
- To avoid high expenditures: advertising to young families, denying coverage for pre-existing conditions, and requiring medical examinations, are ways that are utilized by health insurers to ensure a healthier and less costly enrollment in a multi-payer system
- Not only is a multi-payer system efficient, but it gives the American people what they want: freedom to choose
What type of payer system do we have in the United States?
Name one benefit of a multi-payer system.
Name one disadvantage of a multi-payer system.
Name one benefit of a single payer system.
Name one disadvantage of a single payer system.
Adori St. Lawrence
Cavanaugh, S., & Burke, G. (2010, November). A multipayer approach to health care reform [PDF]. Retrieved from http://www.uhfnyc.org/publications/880709
Chua, K.-P. (2006, February 10). Overview of the U.S. healthcare system [PDF]. Retrieved from http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CB4QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amsa.org%2FAMSA%2FLibraries%2FCommittee_Docs%2FHealthCareSystemOverview.sflb.ashx&ei=_E78VI3cB_HksASIwYLoDQ&usg=AFQjCNFzbDvto9FEa1hdh5Bm8dz7ohmoOw&bvm=bv.87611401,d.cWc
Gadre, S. (2008, November 11). Delivering healthcare: Single payer v/s multi payer [Blog post]. Retrieved from Word Press website: https://onuhc.wordpress.com/2008/11/11/delivering-healthcare-single-payer-vs-multi-player/
Greenberg, W. (2008, June). Single payer v. multi payer under universal health coverage [Electronic mailing list message]. Retrieved from ABA Health eSource website: http://www.americanbar.org/content/newsletter/publications/aba_health_esource_home/greenberg.html
Healthcare For All- California (n.d.). Retrieved 03/09/2015, from How Can Single Payer Improve Health Care?: http://healthcareforall.org
PNHP. (n.d.). Healthcare- Now! Retrieved 03 03, 2015, from What is single-payer healthcare?: https://www.healthcare-now.org/whats-single-payer
PNHP. (n.d.). PNHP. Retrieved 03 03, 2015, from What is single payer?: http://www.pnhp.org/facts/what-is-single-payer
PNHP. (n.d.) PNHP. Retrieved 03/09/2015, from A Better-Quality Alternative: Single-Payer National Health System Reform.:http://www.pnhp.org/publications/a-better-quality-alternative
PNHP. (n.d.) PNHP. Retrieved 03/04/2015, from How Single-Payer Health System Reform Improves Quality. Adopted from “A Better Quality Alternative: Single-Payer Health System Reform,” by Dr. Gordon Schiff and the PNHP Working Group on Quality.:http://www.pnhp.org/facts/quality.pdf
Tamaskar, Prashant, & Rising, Josh (2006). Theoretical Models for Delivering Universal Health Care: An analysis of important concepts [PDF]. Retrieved from http://www.amsa.org/AMSA/Libraries/Initiative_Docs/ DeliveringHealthCareModel.sflb.ashx
WordPress. (2008, November 11). Delivering healthcare: single payer v/s multipayer [Weblog]. Retrieved from https://onuhc.wordpress.com/2008/11/11/delivering -healthcare-single-payer-vs-multi-player/