Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Copy of Boys Culture and School
Transcript of Copy of Boys Culture and School
Boys, Gaming, and School
Culture: Re-Engaging the
What are boys like?
What we wish they were like
What are they really like?
Is this a problem?
Why is this happening
Zero tolerance policies
Lack of men in classroom
What can we do?
Research Team...My work with:
Petner & Vashaw (Teacher views)
Engerman (Mapping OTS)
Wilson (Higher Ed)
How do we use games?
NOT Educational Games
Take them where they are
and change the culture too
PISA Results: Boys in Reading, Girls in Math/Science
What's the problem with games?
Change your Classroom for the Better!
Boys & Games...
If you're a boy, you are...
Three times as likely to be:
in special education, learning
disabled, or emotionally
75-80% of all ADHD medications are given to US boys. Are we medicating them because they are boys?
Violence: Newkirk Misreading
Normal developmental stage
Mixed evidence on impact of violent
--undermines classroom dynamics?
--creates more violent actions?
What do boys say? (Engerman)