Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
8.6 Lesson: Solving Rational Equations
Transcript of 8.6 Lesson: Solving Rational Equations
* I will learn to solve rational equations
* I will learn how to use ration equations to solve problems Vocabulary Rational equation- an equation that contains at least one rational expression. Solving Let's solve the following equation Example: x + x = 2 x+1 x-1 x 2 -1 Not A Rational Expression:
1 = 2 2 3 x+ x + x = 8 x+6 x-6 x -36 2 Factor the denominators to find the LCD. How many
licks does it
take to get to
get to the
center of a Tootsie
Pop? x + x = 8 x+6 x-6 (x-6)(x+6) Multiply both sides by the LCD to remove the denominator x + x (x+6) = 8 x+6 x-6 (x+6)(x-6) (x-6) (x+6) (x-6) Now simplify and solve. x- 6x + x + 6x= 8 2 2 2x = 8 2 2 2 x = 4 2 x = 2 Check for extraneous solutions. http://blueshirtkhakipants.wordpress.com/category/rational-expressions-a-comic-strip/ You Try x/(x+6)+x/(x-6)=8/(x^2-36) 2/(2+6)+2/(2-6)=8/█(2^2-36) 2/8+2/(-4)=8/(-32) (-2)/(-2+6)+(-2)/(-2-6)=8/(-2^2-36) (-2)/4+2/8=8/(-32) NO EXTRANEOUS SOLUTIOLNS 1. j/(j+5)+j/(j-5)=j5/(j-25) 2. b/(4-b)-b/(4+b)=8/(16-b^2) 3.(a-1)/(a^2-9)+2a/(a^2)=(3a+2)/(a-3)