Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of Cochlear Implants
What we learned about cochlear implants
Difference between the information in the popular media sources and the scientific studies
In the next couple of slides we will be explaining the information that is conveyed in our six sources about the topic of cochlear implants.
Themes in Sources
These sources were all similar in their relation to cochlear implants but did contain differences. Please listen as we discuss the difference in messages, perspectives, what was learned, and the critical aspects of the sources.
Messages and Perspectives
- Chicago Tribune "Cochlear Implants Aid Adults with Hearing Loss
- TheGuardian "Bionic ears: let's hear it for cochlear implants..."
- JAMA Network "Trends in Educational Placement and Cost-Benefit Considerations in Children with Cochlear Implants."
- Advanced Bionics
- National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders (NIDCD)
- Journal of Speech Language and Hearing Research "Age of Experience? The Influence of Age Implantation and Social and Linguistic Environment on Language Development in Children with Cochlear Implants."
By Bailey True and Megan Kiehne
Advanced Bionics. (2015). Retrieved May 23, 2015, from http://www.advancedbionics.com/com/en/home.html
Cochlear Implants. (2014). Retrieved May 23, 2015, from http://www.nidcd.nih.gov/health/hearing/pages/coch.aspx
Davis, Nicola. "Bionic Ears: Let's Hear It for Cochlear Implants..." Theguardian. N.p., 15 Mar. 2014. Web. 26 May 2015.
Francis, Howard W., Mary E. Koch, J. Robert Wyatt, and John K. Niparko. "Trends in Educational Placement and Cost-Benefit Considerations in Children With Cochlear Implants." Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg Archives of Otolaryngology–Head & Neck Surgery 125.5 (1999): 499. Web.
Productions, People. "Cochlear - How a Cochlear Implant Works (Animation)." YouTube. YouTube, 3 June 2013. Web. 27 May 2015.
Pittman, Genevra. "Cochlear Implants Aid Adults with Hearing Loss." Tribunedigital-chicagotribune. N.p., 22 Feb. 2013. Web. 26 May 2015.
Szagun, G., & Stumper, B. (2012). Age or Experience? The Influence of Age at Implantation and Social and Linguistic Environment on Language Development in Children With Cochlear Implants. Journal of Speech Language and Hearing Research, 55, 1640-1654. Retrieved May 23, 2015, from EBSCO.
Difference of messages between Bailey's and Megan's sources
Children verses Adults
Information about cochlear implants
Cost and Benefits
- children receiving implants
- higher education and job placement
- Structured source
- Easy for consumer to understand
- Personal source
- Language usage
This is a short video to help you better understand cochlear implants. The video will discuss how an implant works and why
What we found critical in these sources