Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
OHS Freshmen Focus Program
Transcript of OHS Freshmen Focus Program
Goal #3 Year One strategy: mentorship & leadership
The story of 9th graders
1. the lowest average GPA
2. the most discipline referrals
3. the highest truancy rate
4. the most failed classes
Goal #1: Two Year Strategy
Goal #2 Increase Frosh Involvement
OHS Freshman Transition Program
CONNECT WITH THEM
GAIN THE TRUST THAT FOSTERS MENTORSHIP
identifies the "9th grade transition as the single most important factor governing high school graduation rates & individual success."
McCallmore, K. "The Importance of Ninth Grade on Student Success in High School." Education. Spring 2010, Vol. 130 Issue 3, p447-456. 10p.
PLUG THEM IN!
Prepare Frosh Transition Course Curriculum for 2015-2016 school year
course could be connected to English with focus on reading, research and annotation skills
1. service learning
2. study skills
3. life skills
4. outside resources: guest speakers, etc
5. community participation: parents, leaders, etc
6. small group learning
7. safe, empathy-driven environment
Drive increased campus communication w/digital newspaper & Frosh Twitter feed
A fully sustained, peer-led transition program =15% rise in
"Activity participation correlates to a 20% rise in GPA."
"Freshmen failures drop by 15%, discipline referrals drop by 50% in schools that employ peer to peer or teacher to peer mentorship programs."
1. one to one freshmen mentorship
2. starts at Davies in the beginning of 8th grade
course could run in "stand alone" or seminar forms
Oakcrest High School Welcome Week& Challenge Day 2014: championed by Teen Center & Student Council
Freshmen bonfire & tailgate (soccer & football)
expanded Activity Carnival
annual leadership program
Welcome pep rally
movie under the stars
50th Anniversary House Cup
monthly "freshmen only" events
assemblies & motivational speakers
Pass Down Traditions
smaller lunch periods = opportunity
The mentorship programs are already here...
GUIDANCE TEACHER MENTORS
TEEN CENTER GIRLS GROUP
TEEN CENTER BOYS GROUP
OHS FRESHMEN FOCUS PROGRAM
NHS PEER TUTORING
Big Events Planned:
1. Welcome Wagon -- 8/5, 4pm @ flag pole
2. Welcome Week 2014 -- Kick Off with CHALLENGE DAYS on 9/9 & 9/10
3. School-wide Curricular Theme (Post-Challenge Day) on 9/11
During Summer 2014
1. Faculty PD in "Freshmen Focus" & "Teaching to Diversity"
2. Student Council Retreat: "Focus on Freshmen"
3. Fall planning meetings with key resources: Davies, P10 program & Teen Center
4. Revamped Frosh Orientation with "FonF" themes & event advertising
5. Secure funds and plan for "Challenge Day" & "Welcome Week"
6. "THE FALCON WELCOME WAGON" -- SUMMER MEET & GREET initiative -- JULY 24, 2014
4. Welcome Weeks Ends with 1st Home Football Game & Freshmen Tailgate / Bonfire 9/19
Attend workshop, bring ideas
Communicate with & recruit your athletes & members
Attend Welcome Wagon on Aug. 5th & Orientation on Aug. 28th
Sponsor an event
What percentage of OHS freshmen fail?
Do we fail fewer students now than 5 yrs ago?
30% since Genesis in 2010
What percentage of OHS freshmen get referrals?
46% of freshmen are disciplined, 86% go on to be disciplined again
Black students make up approx 35% of our
student population, but approx 65% of our
Retention Rates within our district:
30% of Davies kids choose other options
(2012 to last year)
Graduation Rate: NOW 3rd from last in AC
15% bump would put us third from the top, consistent with sister schools
"10% drop in 9th grade failures in our first year of sustained mentorship."
"Schools with pre-discipline, social, peer-led interventions enjoyed a 25% drop in overall referrals"
Mentoring freshmen is a year-long job : )