Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
The Frankfurt School
Transcript of The Frankfurt School
- even working classes have a vested interest in preserving it
(links to Gramsci's ideas on hegemonic consensus)
working class no longer have a desire to overthrow capitalism industrialization of culture
Hollywood Studio & star system, TV, pop music
illusion of individualism celebrity culture is standardization and manufacturing of myths, masquerading as a celebration of individuality
Adorno condemns the uniformity and conformity of mass popular culture Adorno: "conformity has replaced consciousness" popular music is "catharsis for the masses";
it breeds dependence & conformity low vs high culture- the criticism is that this is an extremely elitist view of culture
but the Frankfurt School was primarily interested in the concept of popular culture from a neo-Marxist perspective Walter Benjamin took a more charitable view of
popular culture. For him, industrialisation (film, photography etc) meant that culture became more democratic and accessible Theodor Adorno, Max Horkheimer
& Walter Benjamin the culture industry is a form of mass deception cultural products are commodities produced
by a capitalist economy choice and diversity are illusions
- in fact for Adorno, cultural commodities are standardized, uniform and ultimately 'authoritarian' they are also empty & mind-numbing lowest common denominator dominant ideology / dominant reading- no scope for oppositional reading in mainstream culture = ?