Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Communism and the Red Scare
Transcript of Communism and the Red Scare
The Creation of Mass Hysteria
The Appeal of Communism
A classless society
Can a society exist that is basically selfless?
Threat to the U.S.
Communism must be worldwide to be successful.
Nuclear Arms Race
Wants working class to become ruling class
If all people the same, then there is no working class to exploit
All decisions that made are in the best interest for the collective society.
Equal share society
1848 - Communist Manifesto
1. Overthrow current government
2. Government controls all personal choices
3. Achievement of utopia
Can you put your full trust into a leader?
Lenin and Stalin
Forces upper class to give up land through mass murder
Man-made famine - forced to sell to Lenin for no profit
Slave labor camps - anyone who disagreed with Lenin was sent there.
Executed anyone who spoke against him. Lenin killed 9 million people
1945 - U.S. detonates first atomic bomb.
· In 1949, the U.S. learned that the Soviet Union also possessed atomic weapons.
Start prepping for possible war
Julius and Ethel Rosenberg
- Provided nuclear secrets to Soviet Union
- Believed their information led to the successful development of the atomic bomb, or was it?
Both maintained innocence
Electrocuted in 1953
Stated 205 people in government were Communists
Publicly named people
Arthur Miller writes The Crucible
Gets on the blacklist
Opened documents in 1996, confirm that Julius was involved, but not Ethel.
Refuses to "out" people
USSR upset that U.S. refuses to recognize it.
U.S. does not like Stalin's dictatorship or communism.
U.S. refuses to give USSR (Russia) bomb secrets.
USSR angry that U.S. waited so long to join WWII.
- Worked in State Department
- Believed to have given USSR documents
Documents withheld from the trial and later found in a pumpkin were enough to put Hiss away on perjury.
Are you now or have you ever been part of the Communist party?
http:// youtu.be/ QsB83fAtNQE
U.S. drops atomic bomb on Hiroshima on Aug. 6th, 1945.
90% of city or 80,000 people die instantly.
10's of thousands later die of radiation posioning.