Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
6.P.3A.1 Types of Energy
Transcript of 6.P.3A.1 Types of Energy
● Gravitational potential energy is
of an object is greater because
kinetic energy was required to raise the object to the
● Gravitational potential energy is greater when the mass of the object is greater because more kinetic energy is required to lift the
Gravitational Potential Enegy
■ Potential energy is
■ Mechanical potential energy is related to the
of an object.
■ A stretched rubber band has potential energy. This is called
energy is the energy due to the motion (
) and position (
) of an object.
When objects are set in motion or are in a position where they can be set in
, they have mechanical energy.
energy is energy stored within the chemical bonds in matter.
● Chemical energy can be
, for example in batteries or sugar/food, when these substances react to form
● Thermal energy is associated with the
of the particles in a substance.
● All matter is made up of
(particles) that move
when they heat up.
The faster the particles move, the
● Heat energy is the transfer of
● Heat energy always moves
hotter objects to
● Energy which is transferred through
waves such as visible
, ultraviolet light or X-rays.
energy is a type of radiant energy.
use solar energy during photosynthesis.
○ Most of the energy that we use on Earth originally came from the
● Sources of radiant energy include stars,
, and microwaves
● Electrical energy is the energy flowing in an electric
of electrical energy include: stored
; solar energy in
cells; fuels or hydroelectric energy in generators.
■ Kinetic energy is the energy an object has due to its
■ Mechanical kinetic energy
as an object moves
Types of Energy
on a shelf has potential energy. Since
can pull the book to the floor, this is called
potential energy. The
of an object affect gravitation potential energy.
Mechanical Potential Energy Continued...
● Examples of this can include, but are not limited to, lifting a book to a height of
meters instead of
meter; and lifting a
to a height of one meter and then lifting a
to a height of 1 meter.
Examples of Gravitational Potential Energy
What is energy?
Energy is the ability to do
Different types of energy