Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
6.P.3A.1 Types of Energy
Transcript of 6.P.3A.1 Types of Energy
● Gravitational potential energy is
of an object is greater because
kinetic energy was required to raise the object to the
● Gravitational potential energy is greater when the mass of the object is greater because more kinetic energy is required to lift the
Gravitational Potential Enegy
■ Potential energy is
■ Mechanical potential energy is related to the
of an object.
■ A stretched rubber band has potential energy. This is called
energy is the energy due to the motion (
) and position (
) of an object.
When objects are set in motion or are in a position where they can be set in
, they have mechanical energy.
energy is energy stored within the chemical bonds in matter.
● Chemical energy can be
, for example in batteries or sugar/food, when these substances react to form
● Thermal energy is associated with the
of the particles in a substance.
● All matter is made up of
(particles) that move
when they heat up.
The faster the particles move, the
● Heat energy is the transfer of
● Heat energy always moves
hotter objects to
● Energy which is transferred through
waves such as visible
, ultraviolet light or X-rays.
energy is a type of radiant energy.
use solar energy during photosynthesis.
○ Most of the energy that we use on Earth originally came from the
● Sources of radiant energy include stars,
, and microwaves
● Electrical energy is the energy flowing in an electric
of electrical energy include: stored
; solar energy in
cells; fuels or hydroelectric energy in generators.
■ Kinetic energy is the energy an object has due to its
■ Mechanical kinetic energy
as an object moves
Types of Energy
on a shelf has potential energy. Since
can pull the book to the floor, this is called
potential energy. The
of an object affect gravitation potential energy.
Mechanical Potential Energy Continued...
● Examples of this can include, but are not limited to, lifting a book to a height of
meters instead of
meter; and lifting a
to a height of one meter and then lifting a
ball to a height of 1 meter.
Examples of Gravitational Potential Energy