Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of Bytheway_Academic_Writing_20091012
1. show command of a broad academic and specific technical vocabulary.
2. use academic lexical chunks and cohesive devices appropriately.
3. use academic punctuation, spelling and layout conventions appropriately.
4. maintain consistent grammatical control of written academic language.
5. use appropriate academic referencing styles correctly.
6. write in a wide variety of sentence and paragraphs styles.
7. write in a consistent register and concise academic style.
8. show awareness of writing purpose, audience, and organization.
9. efficiently draft and revise own writing.
10. use available language learning tools and strategies.
"is most widely used language in the EU"
"is spoekn by about one third of EU citizens as there first foreign language"
European Commission. (2004). Many Tongues, one family: Languages in the European Union. Brussels: Author.
What contributed to the establishment of English as a global language?
What is (or is not) standard English?
expresses theories, processes and explanations
has formal order and structure
uses standard English
What information is in a dictionary?
google oald homepage
parts of speech
examples of use
Students should acquire and revise knowledge and skills that enable them to confidently write English for academic purposes.
All objectives relate to the writing of academic texts in English.
On completion of this course, participants should be able to:
Soles, D. (2009). The essentials of academic writing: International edition (2nd ed). Boston: Wadsworth Cengage Learning.
each week one writing task (250 -->1000 words)
initial draft, revised draft, edited draft, final copy
10 = >C2 9 = C2 8 = C1 7 = B2+ 6 = B2
explore these words in a dictionary