Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Chapter 2 Section 1
Transcript of Chapter 2 Section 1
Latitude and Longitude
-Distance in degrees North or South of
-The _______________ is the imaginary line that circles the Earth half way between the ________________.
-Latitude lines are parallel to the ________________.
-The equator is _____ degrees latitude, ______ degrees
North and South are the poles. Can’t go any farther.
- Longitude lines are _______________. Each
one does not encircle the entire globe.
-The ____________ _______________ is 0 degrees longitude
and runs through Greenwich, England.
-Longitude lines are also called ______________. They measure distance East and West of the Prime Meridian.
-The ________________ ________________ does not circle the whole Earth. The 180- degree is the ________________ _____________ _____________.
(The science of map making)
Earth Time / Time Zones
-24 Time zones due to Earth’s ____ hour _________.
- The United States has _____ time zones.
- Each time zone is ______ degrees wide in longitude.
- Add 1 hour when moving to the East and lose 1 hour
when moving West. 1 hour per time zone or every
-At the 180-degree meridian 0r the _______________
___________ ______________, the calendar day changes.
Breaking Down Latitude and Longitude
- Each degree of ________________ = 111 km on Earth's surface.
- Each ____________ of _____________ can be broken down into 60'
(minutes). Each minute into 60" (seconds).
- 1' of latitude = 1.85 km on Earth's surface.
- Each degree of ________________ can also be broken down into
minutes and seconds.
- Each degree of longitude can vary from 1 to ________ km because
they are not parallel like ________________ lines.