Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Amy Friedman Phillips/ARTS 230 WEEK 1
Transcript of Amy Friedman Phillips/ARTS 230 WEEK 1
Art: An object that is the result of hard work, creativity and a critical thinking process of questioning, exploration, trial & error, revision and discovery.
Artists help us see the world in new ways.
Artists make a
visual record of the people, places and events of their place and time.
Artists make functional objects and structures more pleasurable and elevate them or imbue them with meaning.
Realism - representational art
Meaning and culture
SEVEN STAGES TO THINKING CRITICALLY ABOUT ART
1. Identify the artist's decision and choices.
2. Ask Questions. Be curious.
3. Describe the object.
4. Question your assumptions.
5. Avoid an emotional response.
6. Don't oversimplify or misrepresent the art object.
7. Tolerate uncertainty.
Form: the overall structure of the work
Subject Matter: what is literally depicted.
Content: What it means.
2D vs. 3D
Artists make us feel things
What does this art piece represent?
What emotions do you feel?
What did the artist intend for you to think and feel?
Every civilization has created art; why do you think art is an important component of every culture and society? Explain.
Question 2: What would society be like if all forms of art were eliminated?
What would society be if all forms of art were eliminated?
How is art important to a community? should we invest tax dollars to bring in a scultpture, mural or other art form to the community? Why or why not?
Another important question: What do you think are the characteristics of
that distinguish it from all other forms of artistic expression?
Before we begin, a question - What is
? Do you think that understanding and studying aesthetics is important? Why?
Is creativity unique to artists, or is it a talent that every human being possesses to some degree? Why? Provide personal examples.