Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Transcript of Dental Hygiene
Why is Dental Hygiene important?
Other Risk Factors
"Periodontal (Gum) Disease: Causes, Symptoms, and Treatments." National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research. NIH; USA.gov, Aug. 2012. Web. 15 Apr. 2014. <http://www.nidcr.nih.gov/OralHealth/Topics/GumDiseases/PeriodontalGumDisease.htm>.
"Healthy smile, healthy you: The importance of oral health." Delta Dental. May 2011. Web. 17 Apr. 2014. <http://www.deltadentalins.com/oral_health/dentalhealth.html>.
Fritz, Anne L. "12 Foods That Stain Teeth." everyday Health. Everyday Health Media, Web. 19 Apr. 2014. <http://www.everydayhealth.com/photogallery/12-foods-that-stain-teeth.aspx#/slide-2>.
"What is Good Oral Hygiene?." Colgate. Colgate-Palmolive Company, Web. 19 Apr. 2014. <http://www.colgate.com/app/CP/US/EN/OC/Information/Articles/Oral-and-Dental-Health-Basics/Oral-Hygiene/Oral-Hygiene-Basics/article/What-is-Good-Oral-Hygiene.cvsp>.
"Teeth and Drug Use." Better Health Channel. State Government of Victoria, Web. 19 Apr. 2014. <http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/bhcarticles.nsf/pages/Teeth_and_drug_use>.
Marino, Julia. "12 Foods That Naturally Whiten Your Teeth." Yahoo. 27 Aug. 2013. Web. 19 Apr. 2014. <https://shopping.yahoo.com/photos/12-foods-that-naturally-whiten-your-teeth-1377648900-slideshow/12-foods-that-naturally-whiten-your-teeth-photo-1377648850211.html>.
"Fun Dental Facts." Smiles & Giggles Dentistry for Children & Adults, P.A.. Web. 26 Apr. 2014. <http://www.smilesandgigglesdentistry.com/fun-dental-facts.html>.
Kennedy, Kaitlyn. "10 Fun Facts About Teeth." Accele Dent. 10 July 2013. Web. 25 Apr. 2014. <http://acceledent.com/blog/10-fun-facts-about-teeth/>.
Green, Amanda. "Can You Handle the Tooth? 10 Things You Didn't Know About Teeth." Mental_Floss. 22 Oct. 2012. Web. 25 Apr. 2014. <http://mentalfloss.com/article/12830/can-you-handle-tooth-10-things-you-didnt-know-about-teeth>.
Periodontal Disease and
Other Health Complications
Systematic diseases show signs of oral manifestation.
Do To Keep
Your Teeth Healthy?
Brush your teeth twice a day (with a fluoride toothpaste).
Floss regularly to remove plaque from between teeth. Or use a device such as a special brush or wooden or plastic pick recommended by a dental professional.
Eat a balanced diet and limit amount of snacks between meals.
Visit the dentist routinely for a check-up and professional cleaning.
Proper Brushing Technique
Tilt the brush at a 45° angle against the gumline and sweep or roll the brush away from the gumline.
Gently brush the outside, inside and chewing surface of each tooth using short back-and-forth strokes.
Gently brush your tongue to remove bacteria and freshen breath.
Proper Flossing Technique
Use about 18" of floss, leaving an inch or two to work with.
Gently follow the curves of your teeth.
Be sure to clean beneath the gumline, but avoid snapping the floss on the gums.
Drug Effect on Teeth
Foods That Whiten Teeth
Foods That Stain Teeth
What you eat affects your oral health.
1. Your tooth enamel is the hardest part of your entire body.
2. The average person spends 38 days brushing their teeth during their lifetime.
3. Modern toothpaste has only been available for the past hundred years. Before this invention, humans used charcoal or ground chalk, ashes, lemon juice, and honey-tobacco mixtures to clean their teeth.
4.Your teeth are as unique as your fingerprints: no two people have the same set of teeth.
5. 73% of Americans would rather go grocery shopping than floss.
6. Giraffes only have bottom teeth.
7. More than 51 million hours of school are lost each year by children due to dental related illness.
Stain or Whiten?