Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
The American War of Independence
Transcript of The American War of Independence
Learning Intention - revise The American War of Independence
Examine the picture below
Build up to the American Revolution
1. An angry crowd of Americans jeered and stoned British troops at Boston after a tax was imposed on tea. The British army opened fire and killed five people. This was called the Boston Massacre.
2. In 1773 British troops arrived at Boston port carrying cheap tea which they were to sell cheaply without tax. Americans disguised as Indians dumped 342 crates of tea into the harbour. This became known as the Boston Tea Party.
3. In 1774 American colonies met at Philadelphia in a meeting called the First Continental Congress. They demanded an end to British taxation. Some delegates called for more independence for the colonies.
Can you put the events in chronological order?
In 1781 the French and American armies forced the British to surrender at Yorktown. The Americans had won the war.
Image by goodtextures: http://fav.me/d2he3r8
Locate the revision notes on Sharepoint
Read the 'Reasons for the American Revolution'
Explain the terms below
Seven Years War
Taxation Without Representation
Can you identify the event leading up to the American Revolution
The war began when Americans ambushed British troops at Lexington and Concord. Shortly afterwards the British suffered heavy casualties as they drove the Americans from Bunker Hill.
At the beginning the British were winning the war and captured the American cities of New York and Philadelphia.
The Americans led by George Washington retreated to Valley Forge. They spent the winter in terrible conditions and many died from disease.
France had now entered the war in favour of America and they had a decisive victory against the British at Saratoga.
However the Americans had surprise victories at Trenton and Princeton.
THINK PAIR SHARE
What were the results of the American Revolution?
Share your answers with a partner
3 main results are required