Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Transcript of 04.03 Dinoflagellates
HAB can affect an ecosystems wildlife as well as humans. The toxins released during red tide can cause various illnesses, interfering with respiratory health, skin and even the nervous system. As the dinoflagellates multiply, they become more harmful to the ecosystem.
Why do you think it can be difficult to determine the causes of HAB related illnesses and events?
I think that it would be difficult to to determine the causes of HAB related illnesses and events because some of the symptoms are the same if not similar to many other illness. Also if the affected individual didn't know that there was red tide, they would have no clue what made them ill, making things more difficult for doctors to diagnosis the issue.
How can a Harmful Algal Bloom (HAB) outbreak have a devastating economic impact?
An HAB can have a huge impact on the tourism industry, especially in Florida. This is because during red tide, all beaches must be closed for health and safety reasons, thus creating a decline in economic flow.
Name two types of sickness you can get from phytoplankton in Florida, and describe how you can get them. What symptoms led to the diagnosis of our patients?
1. Paralytic shellfish poisoning (PSP) is caused by the consumption of bivalve shellfish and other mollusc shellfish that have been contaminated by toxins during red tide.
2. Diarrhetic Shellfish Poisoning (DSP) is caused by the consumption of contaminate shellfish, usually during red tide.
two types of sickness you can get from phytoplankton in Florida...
The conditions found in the Gulf of Mexico contribute to the overgrowth of phytoplankton because of the warm water temperatures, high nutrient content, low salinity, calm seas and rain followed by sunny hot weather.
An HAB outbreak can affect the fishing and shellfish industry because fishermen are not able to catch fish to but on the market. Depending on how long the outbreak lasts can severely ruin a once successful business.
Fishing & Shellfish Industry
1. Paralytic shellfish poisoning symptoms:
tingling sensation/numbness around the lips,face and neck,
prickly sensation in the fingertips and toes,
headache and dizziness, and
2. Diarrhetic Shellfish Poisoning symptoms:
abdominal cramps, and
symptoms that led to the diagnosis of our patients...
Summarize how the conditions found in the Gulf of Mexico contribute to the overgrowth of phytoplankton.