Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Week 6, Lecture 2 - Emergent Literacy 2
Transcript of Week 6, Lecture 2 - Emergent Literacy 2
Emergent Literacy 2
Awareness of sounds in a language
Phonemic awareness skills:
Rhymes (recognizing & producing)
Isolation (beginning & ending)
Knowing letter names
Knowing sounds matched to letters
Do students need to know all of their letters/sounds before they can read/write?
Back to the beginning
What does the child know about writing?
A B C
D E F
The Reading Wars
Phonics vs Whole Word
teach reading through the sounds of words (sounding out the words, etc.
teach reading through the recognition of full words (sight words, etc.)
Bring Running Record info and/or Clay
Due by Feb. 23
Print out Case Study Packet
Finish working with actual student
Start looking for a book that would make for a great read aloud (by March 2)
Let's Try It!
Jot it down in your journal
"The beautiful part of writing is that you don't have to get it right the first time unlike, say a brain surgeon"
- Robert Cormier
Intro and questions
Phonics in emergent literacy
Preview next week's work