Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Social Psychology - The Media and Social Norms
Transcript of Social Psychology - The Media and Social Norms
What is the Media?
What is a Social Norm?
The media is any means of communication as a radio and television, newspaper, and magazines, that reach or influence people widely.
A Social Norm is described by sociologists as being laws that govern society's behavior. The media and social norms intertwined. Can you tell what is being portrayed in this commercial?
What is are visible signs of social norms being directed at the viewers by means of the media? Some Examples of Social Norms Some examples of social norms are :
- when you eat out to leave a 10% tip for the waiter
- saying please and thank you
- people fall in love and get married and have children
Can you think of any social norms that we see day to
day ? Dress and Grooming
Way of speech
Upgrade in Entertainment
Attributes What can you understand from looking at this commercial? Movies
Television Media and Consumer Culture Pepsi Commercial (2012) Pepsi Commercial (1961) What differences do you see between the two commercials? How do they differ in selling their product? Consumer Tribes Advertisers frequently rely on fanbases and inherent brand loyalty when selling products. Fanbases and Consumer Tribes often provide a sense of belonging to individuals Why do we "Buy" into media? Gives individuals the opportunity to surround themselves with like minded individuals.
Creates a feeling of inherent acceptance How does media effect children and youth? Promotes violence
Reflects the views of a patriarchal society
Diminishes body image and self confidence Social Networks