Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
BAD NEWS LETTER
Transcript of BAD NEWS LETTER
1. Neutral Opening
A) Area of agreement between the reader and writer.
B) Clear and direct.
2. Positive Explanation
APPROPRIATE WAYS TOWARDS COMMUNICATING REFUSAL
KEY POSITIVES TO FOCUS UPON
What exactly is a bad news letter ?
Bad news letters are likely to disappoint, upset or even anger the reader.
A DIFFERENTIATING EXAMPLE
KEY CONCLUSIVE POINTS:
- Accomplishment of intended purpose.
- Make relevant facts known to the reader.
- Reveal the situation as a whole to the reader in a manner that helps bring forward positives for the reader.
- Develop the letter in manner that is acceptable and understandable for the reader.
3. The Refusal
A) Break the news.
D) Use passive voice.
1- Conveying bad news is a challenging task!
STRATEGY FOR THE BAD NEWS LETTER
A) Good reasoning
B) Good explanation of the reasoning.
C) Be clear and give enough information.
D) Emphasize the reasons.
THE MANNERISM TOWARDS COMMUNICATION OF BAD NEWS
1) Yumna Shehzad
2) Maheen Adil
3) Samiya Shoaib
4) Junaid Asad
5) Fawad Ahmed Khan
6) Bilal Muneer
Bad News Letters
It is basically a letter that conveys negative or unpleasant information..
Examples include: Rejection Letters, Negative Evaluations etc
A "2-minute group act" to help you absorb the concept of a good news letter...
2- Correspondence must create goodwill...
3- Relationship between the sender and receiver is at stake.
WHEN IN ROME,
DO AS THE ROMANS DO!
WHEN WRITING THE BAD NEWS LETTER,
DO AS PROPERLY & POLITELY AS YOU CAN DO!
1) A lack of planning dooms many bad-news letters.
PLANNING THE BAD NEWS LETTER
2) A challenging task..
3) Planning ensures effective communication!
Steps in transmitting Bad-News
1) No, you will not get your loan
- Unfortunately, The loan cannot be allowed/granted to you.
2) No, you aren't being hired - The employment phase has been concluded and we could not slot you in any position.
ARRIVING AT THE CORE MESSAGE!
GALVANIZING WITH SUPPLEMENTARY POSITIVES..
HIGHLIGHTING CONCRETE POSSIBILITIES!
A) End on a positive note.
B) Show something of interest.
C) Be unapologetic.
D) Avoid cliches.
4. Positive Note
REFUSING A REQUEST
• Conveying refusal news in a diplomatic way.
• To refuse a request for refund or exchange for a purchase in a positive manner.
• Create a balance between the company and the customer.
• Convincing the customer, why the request is not granted.
• Avoid dis-trustfulness in the customer.
• End with a positive note and focus on future
• A positive statement about the organization or a person.
• Avoid dis-courteousness.
• Reasons for refusing requests.
• State the actual refusal.
• Offer a substitute adjustment.
• Close in a friendly manner.
- If possible, the writer should point out the following to the reader
1) Benefit from the refusal.
2) Where did the reader fall short of the requirement or if the reader was incorrect, the exactly in what manner..
3) Appropriate, clear and comprehensive delivery of the bad news.
BAD NEWS EXPRESSION CHECK LIST:
1) Start in a neutral manner - include some form of agreement.
2) Keep the objective relevant to the interest of the reader - write in a positive tone.
3) Follow with reason of rejection and explanation where required - Do not sound apologetic..
Always communicate on the reader's level...!
4) End in a positive manner without cliches and include something of interest to the reader - make the reader aware of the writer's concern, rather than the rejection.
"The refusal of an adjustment request"
[FIRST PARAGRAPH] -------> Neutral start with supplementing positivity.
[SECOND PARAGRAPH] -------> The implied refusal with subsequent reasons for it.
[THIRD PARAGRAPH] -------> Conclusion with orientation of direction towards the future, bundled with hopefulness.
EUPHEMISM's INEVITABLE CONNECTION WITH THE BAD NEWS LETTER..!
Writing a bad news letter does not mean that we avoid the bad news.
We simply convey an ill natured message in a positive manner.
This is something that 'Euphemism' directs toward as well.
- Should always be dealt by with an indirect approach.
"Refusal towards a request"
Neutral start with affirming grounds of mutual agreement.
Introduction of the refusal with subsequent reasons for it.
Conclusion stapled with compliments towards a thorough orientation and expression optimistic inclination for future business.
Indicating to the reader relevant law or policy to cater to similar natured aspects.
Happy bad news writing :)