Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Welcome to First Grade Curriculum Night
Transcript of Welcome to First Grade Curriculum Night
First Grade Philosophy
* We believe each child is unique and we recognize the importance of individual differences
* We believe in the dignity and worth of each person
* We believe each child can become an independent, creative thinker
* We believe a love of learning is essential to lifelong learning
Measurement and Data
Operations and Algebraic Thinking
Number and Operations in Base Ten
Physical Science: Light and Sound
- The movement of light and sound
Earth Science: Air and Weather
-Explore the Earth's atmosphere and patterns of objects in the sky
Life Science: Plant and Animal Survival
-Investigation of how plants and animals survive in their natural habitat
Special Area Classes
* Students go to gym, music, and art class for 60 minutes per week
* Students receive 90 minutes of Spanish instruction per week.
* Students go to the library for book check out and instruction for 30 minutes a week.
Common Core State Standards
* The Council of Chief State School Officers and The National Governors Association Center for Best Practices
* Fewer, clearer, and higher, to best drive effective policy and practice.
* Aligned with college and work expectations, so that all students are prepared for success upon graduating from high school.
*Inclusive of rigorous content and application of knowledge through high-order skills, so that all students are prepared for the 21st century.
*Internationally benchmarked, so that all students are prepared for succeeding in our global economy and society, and
*Research and evidence-based
First Grade Curriculum Includes...
*McGraw Hill Treasures/Heggerty
*Lucy Calkins Reading Units of Study
*Handwriting Without Tears
*Houghton Mifflin Social Studies
*Lucy Calkins Writing Units of Study
*Special Area Classes
Balanced Literacy Approach
* Read alouds
Handwriting Without Tears
*Developmentally based curriculum for writing readiness and printing
*Uses methods and materials that appeal to all learning styles - visual, auditory, tactile, and kinesthetic
*Helps to eliminate problems with letter formation, reversals, and legibility
* People Everywhere
*Where We Live
* World of Work
* Everything Changes
* Good Citizens
* Empathy Training
* Impulse Control
* Anger Management
Fun Things in First Grade
* First Grade Play
* Field Trips
* Student of the Week
* Guest Reader
Birthdays in First Grade
* Parents are invited to come in to the class to read a story and may choose to donate the story to the classroom library.
* The birthday child will wear a birthday crown and pick a special game to play.
* Food is not a part of birthday celebrations in first grade.
Holmes School Has 3 Rules
* Be Respectful
* Be Responsible
* Be Safe
* Home/school folders must come to and from school each night.
* Homework expectations vary from classroom to classroom. Your child's classroom teacher will give additional information regarding their policy.
*Math homework will go home on the day that instruction is given and must be returned the following day.
Supporting Your Child's Learning
* Visit the classroom website or read the classroom newsletter and use it as a way to talk to your child about school.
* Use homework activities as a fun way to share learning.
* Read with your child.
* Foster your child's independence and responsibility.
Lucy Calkins Writing Units of Study
Snacks at Holmes
For the health and safety of our students, District 97 is implementing the following guidelines
*Nuts and nut products are not allowed in any classroom. This includes products that are labeled " processed in a facility that shares equipment with nut products."
* Do not send nuts or nut products as a snack.
*There is no food sharing between students at any time during the school day.
*There is no eating or drinking on school buses.
*There is no eating in outside play areas.
**At Holmes we require all
snacks to come with
The New District 97
* User-friendly for families, students, and teachers
* Far fewer reporting standards for ELA and Math
*Fewer behaviors supporting learning; measured on a 3/2/1 scale
- M (meets)
- E (excels)
- P (progressing)
- N (not yet)
*More information at a fall PTO meeting