Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Particle Theory: Expansion and Contraction
Transcript of Particle Theory: Expansion and Contraction
Why particles expand and contract?
- When particles are heated they cause the substance to expand.
- When particles are cooled they cause the substance to contract
- This is due to the particles creating more space between one another (heated) or decreasing the space between one another (cooling).
- Solids will have less kinetic energy causing the to move _________
- When solids are heated the substance expands as the particles move slightly away from one another. The solid can become malleable in this state.
- When solids are cooled the particles will move closer together, resulting in less kinetic energy. The solids can become brittle in this state.
- Examples of this are:
- Liquids expand slightly when they are heated.
- The particles move faster and further away from each other.
- Water can expand!
- When liquids are cooled they move closer to one another and the liquid flows slower due to decreased viscosity.
- Gases behave the same way as the other types of matter, but take up more area from energized particles.
- Particles increase in speed and become less dense
- A good way to see expansion or contraction of gases is in containers.
- Helium balloons in the cold
- A cars tires
- Inflated balls on the playground
Water is an exception to the rule
- When water freezes it EXPANDS
- This is why potholes and broken statues form from cold weather.
- The mechanical weathering term for this is