Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
To what extent is our perception of beauty shaped by society
Transcript of To what extent is our perception of beauty shaped by society
- based on personal feelings, tastes, or opinion
Toddlers and Tiaras
Influence of Media
Social Identity Theory
- Person’s sense of who they are based on their group membership(s).
Does Society shape our perception of beauty?
Real Life Situation
Abercrombie & Fitch CEO Mike Jeffries
"In every school there are the cool and popular kids, and then there are the not-so-cool kids. Candidly, we go after the cool kids. We go after the attractive all-American kid with a great attitude and a lot of friends. A lot of people don't belong in our clothes and they can't belong. Are we exclusionary? Absolutely." - Mike Jeffries
Not selling XL or XXL for women
On sex appeal, "It's almost everything. That's why we hire good looking people in our stores. Because good looking people attract other good looking people, and we want to market to cool, good looking people. We don't market to anyone other than that." - Mike Jeffries
- Social Identity Theory
- Influence of Media
- Beauty is subjective
- Individual will not act by their
thoughts and characteristics,
Beauty is subjective
How does this affect teens?
- 1 to 7 year olds competing in beauty pageants
- make up at young age, spray tans,
- idea of what beautiful is at such young age
- each person has different perception of beauty
- depends how you feel towards someone
- girls starving themselves to have the "perfect" body
- boys taking steroids to have the "ideal" body
- ones without the body feel like they are worth less
- self conscious
- society shapes our perception of physical beauty not inner beauty
- media plays a huge roll
- this idea of beauty is what our society grew up seeing
- personal taste