Send the link below via email or IMCopy
Present to your audienceStart remote presentation
- Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
- People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
- This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
- A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
- Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article
Do you really want to delete this prezi?
Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.
Make your likes visible on Facebook?
Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.
Physics 2 Mech - Unit 4 - Refraction
Transcript of Physics 2 Mech - Unit 4 - Refraction
the bending of a wave as it passes at an angle from one medium to another
some of wave will still reflect (in most cases)
2nd medium must be transparent
Pg. 562, fig. 15-2
1. the angle
2. light changes speed as it travels from one medium to another
as the wave hits the 2nd medium at an angle, they will change speed
BUT...one side changes speed sooner and a pivot is created on one side or the other, turning the wave
Why does refraction occur?
higher to lower speed
bend towards normal
lower to higher speed
bends away from normal
wavelength change is to
compensate for change
Index of refraction
the ratio of the speed of light in a vacuum to the speed in the medium of interest
FORMULA, PG. 564
Law of Refraction
the higher n is, the more the light will bend toward the normal and v.v
can use the n for 2 different media to predict how the light is going to bend
see pg. 565, fig. 15-5
Index of Refraction
use index of refraction to calculate angles
pg. 564, table 15-1
PRACTICE 15A, PG. 567, #1-3
SECTION REVIEW PG. 567, #1-4
Refraction - Physics 2