Loading presentation...

Present Remotely

Send the link below via email or IM

Copy

Present to your audience

Start remote presentation

  • Invited audience members will follow you as you navigate and present
  • People invited to a presentation do not need a Prezi account
  • This link expires 10 minutes after you close the presentation
  • A maximum of 30 users can follow your presentation
  • Learn more about this feature in our knowledge base article

Do you really want to delete this prezi?

Neither you, nor the coeditors you shared it with will be able to recover it again.

DeleteCancel

Make your likes visible on Facebook?

Connect your Facebook account to Prezi and let your likes appear on your timeline.
You can change this under Settings & Account at any time.

No, thanks

Dwarfism

No description
by

SMASH

on 12 November 2014

Comments (0)

Please log in to add your comment.

Report abuse

Transcript of Dwarfism

What is Dwarfism?
There are 200 different types of Dwarfism. Two of the most common types are MOPD type 1 and MOPD type 2. MOPD type 1 is the most deadliest type of Dwarfism. If you have MOPD type 1, you will only have 1 year of life left. But if you have MOPD type 2 you live as long a life as an average height person. :)
The Symptoms of Dwarfism
INTERESTING FACTS!
INTERESTING FACTS
Dwarfism
Dwarfism is a
genetic
condition, and it effects you physically, not mentally, because it is in your bones, not your brain. This condition is very rare; 1 out of every 26,000 to 40,000 babies are born with dwarfism.
How Do You Get Dwarfism?
In the fourth
chromosome
, there is the FGFR3
gene
that provides instructions to make your bones grow. When you have dwarfism that gene is
mutated
so most of your bones stop growing.
When you have Dwarfism, the
symptoms
are, your skull is larger than average sized, but your body is smaller. Also you have a higher possibility to have more toes or fingers. Usually, if someone has Dwarfism, they walk differently because their knees are turned outward and their toes stick upward, due to their small figure.
Types of Dwarfism

80% of the time Dwarfism is not genetic, but the other 20% is genetic. So what that mean is most people who have dwarfism the parents don't.
The are over 15,000 people in the US who have dwarfism.
Famous People with Dwarfism!
Danny Woodburn - Grimm
The History of
Dwarfism
Glossary
In the Ancient Egyptian times, Egyptians believed that people with Dwarfism had super natural powers.
Martin Klebba - Butcher
Mirror Mirror
Mark Povinelli - Half Pint
Jordan Prentice - Nepoliatan
This is the tiniest girl
in the world. When she was
born, she was only 2 pounds.
and is the star of a TLC TV show. She has recently passed away.
Pierre Maroteaux was the first to mention dwarfism was genetic, he was born in 1929, and Maurice Lamy helped him.
Dr. John Wasmuth found the most common kind of Dwarfism called Achondroplasia.
80% of people with Dwarfism have average height parents and siblings.
There is TLC TV show
about a couple with
Dwarfism named Bill
Klein (4 ft tall) and
Jennifer Arnold (3 ft 2 in.
Another common type of Dwarfism is Achomdroplasia. Most actors and actresses have this kind of Dwarfism
Accommodations
When you have Dwarfism you can't do everything as easily as an average human. So they make accommodations.
pedal extensions
stepping stools
smaller sinks
and toilets
You could also remodel your house to make everything your height.
Symptoms
- A reaction you get to any condition you might have.
Chromosome
- Part of a cell nucleus that contains the gene.
Gene
- tells your body how to work, look, and act.
Genetics
- When you get something passed down from you parents.
Mutate
- When something changes or goes wrong
Nucleus
- A brain for a cell that contains you chromosomes and genes.
QUESTIONS AND COMMENTS?
Thanks for watching!
Dwarfism is a easier way to say Skeletal Dysplasia. You can also say "person of short stature" or "little person," but the term "midget" is considered very offensive to people with Dwarfism.
Dwarfism is caused by a genetic mutation that makes a person 4 ft 10 or under. But if a person of short stature is short just because it is in their heritage, that is not Dwarfism.
Where to go to learn more
www.kidshealth.org
www.wikipedia.com
www.lpaonline.org
www.healthline.com
www.childrensnational.org
In the Wizard of Oz, there is only one living munchkin that
is still alive. named Jerry Maren from the Lollipop Guild.
He is also in one episode of a nickelodeons hit T.V series ICarly .
Full transcript